26. Bedtime, Part 3: Something's wrong

(2008 Continues)...

Nina

Something happened to me but I wasn't sure what? I was on the floor with my uncle hovering. Until my mother snatched me in full blown hysterical tears, frightened to even let me go. All I could do was stay put, zoned out wondering what happened  to me. Until I thought about the woman I had seen and the fear from before returned.

Those feelings are getting knocked out of me because my door busted open, and we all saw my father in a panic.

The second my father saw me and my mother he was down at our side, running his hand across my cheek. “What happened? I hear you two screaming.” Switching his eyes between my mother and uncle.

My mother sobs, tightening her grip on me, rocking. “I don't know. Nina looked upset when she left the library asking to come to her room. So I said she could but I came to check on her because something didn't feel right.” weeping, digging her face against mine. “And she was on the floor! Yoko, she wasn't breathing. Our baby wasn't breathing.” Hysterically crying, staring to kiss my head repeatedly. “All I remember is screaming for help and Malik giving her CPR since I was too hysterical in order to do it.” After moving her head into my father's neck, crying. “Oh, Yoko! I've never been so scared in my life. I thought we just lost our baby girl f–”

“Alright love, it's okay.” My father rubbed his hand over her shoulder. “You just have to keep positive and that's; our daughter is still here. She's a fighter, which is how I know she will get better. Now we'll call West and get him over here right away. In the meantime, let's get Nina to bed and resting.” Picking me up from my mothers and carrying me to my bed.

I breathe slowly since my chest hurts and end up lightly groaning. “Papa, my chest hurts.” Whispering to my father.

“I know, dear, I know.” Saying, soft while laying me down in my bed. “That is why you need to just lay here and rest until Dr. Milton arrives.” Running his finger through my hair, sighing while his grip tightened like he’s terrified to let go.

“Which shouldn't be long now, I just got off the phone with him.” Hearing my uncle speak, as he came up to my bed, slightly smiling at me. “You sure know how to scare people, kid.” Leaning down to pretend to flick my forehead. “Please, don’t ever do it again, do you hear me?”

I’m smiling weakly. “I’ll do my best, uncle.”

“Nina!” Formed frightened from the sound of Oscar.

My eyes moved towards the door just like everyone else. We saw Oscar standing there with his breath trembling as if he’s terrified for his life. Once our eyes met, he inhaled deeply, getting tears as if he feared the worse, but thankful for another result.

From seeing his condition, my mother gathered herself, inhaling as if she needed it and stepped over to Oscar, leaning down. “Oh, Oscar, it's alright, sweetie. Everything is going to be alright. Nina’s okay.” Reaching up to his shoulder. “Come h–” My mother didn’t have to finish that sentence as Oscar barreled into her arms, dropping to his knees.

Oscar broke down. “It's my fault this happened. I told her to leave and said mean things to her that I shouldn't have and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say them, I swear it. If I was a jerk to her and  maybe this wouldn't have happened if I wasn't. Please, I can't lose her too!” Sobbing out to my mother.

My mother had to contain her tears as she reached up to hug him, while he just cried. “Shhh, no Oscar this is not your fault sweetie. Nina is just a very sick little girl right now and we're gonna get her help, Oscar, okay. We're not gonna lose her anytime soon. I know I can't promise that but I will do everything in my power to make sure we never lose her.” Comfort him like she always does me when I'm upset.