61. Wedding bells

A YEAR LATER,

RUHANI'S POV

I was walking to Srishti's room while carrying a big basket full of flower petals. The whole palace was being decorated, so how could we leave the bride's room plain and boring? The big round hall in the middle was my favourite place in this big palace, you could see every room from here.

Everyone was busy preparing one thing or the other, afterall our bride wanted a perfect bollywood style wedding. I walked through the long corridor, admiring the royal craftsmanship done on the walls and the pillors. Anyone girl would feel like princess in such a place but not me; I had stopped feeling such stupid things long ago.

The thick embroidered border of my heavy lehanga dragged along with me on the floor, the royal jewellery making a sweet melody as I walked. These outfits were also our bride's idea, she had ordered everyone to dress up like 'The Royals'. It really felt like I was inside a period movie.

Entering Srishti's room, I saw her sitting infront of the big mirror with her phone while our other friends helped her get ready for the Diwali Pooja. The whole room was a big mess, with clothes and jewellery scattered everywhere. I shook my head at the condition of the room, I knew now she would shout after not finding a particular thing in this pile of accessories.

"Come on bhai, though you call me your own sister but aren't even coming to attend my wedding? And that friend of yours, also went to attend an important meeting. Who goes to work before their wedding's first function?"

As I placed the flower basket on the ground, my eyes narrowed when I saw her talking to bhai on video call. I stood behind her and started brushing the back of her hair while she looked at me with a frustrated pout through the mirror.

"What happened?"

I asked without lifting my eyes up from her hair. She huffed, letting out an annoyed sigh before speaking.

"Veer bhai isn't coming and Your jiju has gone to some important meeting, he will come back at the time of Pooja only."

"Bhai has his match na and jiju will be back before the ritual starts right? Stop stressing too much."

I replied, finally lifting my gaze to look at her beautiful face, the wedding glow making her even prettier. Rubbing her shoulder, I attempted to calm her down. Leaning against my standing frame, she held my hands and spoke softly.

"Thank you for coming. Aisa lag raha hai jaise, pure ek Saal baad tujhe apne office se Bahar aate hue dekha ho."

I gave her a small smile, leaning down to hug her shoulders. My eyes glistened once again but I was quick to hide them. Carefully kissing her head, without ruining her hairstyle, I teased her.

"Budhu! Mai nahi aati to Ravi bhaiya ke joote kon churata?"

Both of us chuckled. Just then a cousin of her came running to inform that the elders were asking for the soon to be bride to come outside. She went out with her cousin and I started to pack all her jewellery back into the box. The moment I was about to step outside, an attendee stopped me by saying.

"Ma'am, these anklets are for you. I have given these to all the bridesmaids, only you are left. Please wear this before going out."

My heart skipped a beat, when I looked at those beautiful anklets she was holding out for me. Quickly looking away, I cleared my throat before answering her. My voice coming out a little shaky.

"I..I don't wear anklets, they irritate my skin."

Before she could say anything, I quickly walked out of her room taking long steps. My breath quickened as I clenched onto my skirt, looking down at my bare foot. Those memories which forced me to drown myself in work since the past last year came back flowing into my mind.