37. Grim announcement

For you my love, I would cross oceans...

RUHANI'S POV

Oree...piyaa...

That's how the song ended, as I stood there still panting slightly after the intense performance. The crowed cheered and apploued a lot more than I expected. I gave them a slight smile, thankfully the inner turmoil of my emotions added more to the act rather than messing it up. Bowing down I hastily left the stage and literally ran to the audience area through the back-stage.

My heart was throbbing against my chest, sweat had formed on my forehead. A lot of terrifying thoughts started floating through my mind. Reaching the audience hall, I found Srishti and bhai already standing outside expecting me to come.  I picked up my pace and rushed towards them, my anklets and the other jewellery ringed loudly due to my fast steps. The drape of my saree was flying in the air when I halted my steps in front of them, who stood their with the same worry reflected in the depth of their eyes which they were obviously trying to conceal.

"You did amazing bestie!! You will surely win."
"Ah yes yes smarty you were outstanding, the performance wa-"

"Where is Jay?"

I cut off their ridiculous attempts to divert the topic and asked what they knew I was desperate to know about and came straight to the point. I looked at them with slight hope flickering in my eyes, expecting them to know the key to my peace, to know where my jay is! But all I got was painful silence that made it suffocating to breathe properly.

My mind and heart weren't able to grasp the fact that Jay broke his promise and is nowhere to be seen at the moment. I bite my lips and took a deep breath trying to calm down my racing heart and asked them again.

"He came here right? Where did he go? Bhai you must know right! Where is Jay!! ..please tell me."

My voice broke at the end, my heart knew he would never miss my performance unless it was an emergency and the thought of it was enough to send shivers through my whole body. Bhai held my upper arms sternly and made me look at him, before he spoke in a calm yet stern tone.

"We don't know smarty. After the announcement we thought he will come after a few minutes but he never did. When your turn was about to come I went in to check around the area but he was nowhere to be seen and-"

"No..no..wh..what are you saying bhai.."

I cut him off in the middle, as my heart wasn't ready to believe his words. What does he mean? He was nowhere to be seen? Bhai made me sit at the near by chair and asked Srishti to bring me some water. Just then Ravi bhaiya came running to us with a worried face as he spoke while panting.

"His phone is switched off and he isn't even in the office."

Tears started to drop from my eyes at this point. I have never been this scared ever in 25 years of my life. I stood up abruptly with my mouth wide open as I tried to gulp down this new information thrown at me. I blinked my eyes a little to prevent the stream of tears which  threatening to fall any moment. I took a step closer, standing right in front of Ravi bhaiya and asked ; with my shaky voice.

"What are you saying bhaiya? How is his phone switched off? Please ask..ask someone else, there must be anyone who knows where he went?..please.."

I bite my lips at the end trying to muffle up my sobs. He nodded and went a little away before trying to connect with potential people who might know where he is. Srishti handed me the water bottle and spoke.