BC106: Thieves' Gambit (Baba Tribe vs. Heroes)-3

[Opener: "Heavy Dirty Soul"--21 Pilots]

"What the heck just happened?" Mercury asked. "Did someone stab someone?"

"Was it just me, or did that not hurt her at all?" Royal asked.

Esmeralda whimpered. "Maybe I should have mentioned this before, but...uh, nothing ever seems to hurt her."

"What do you mean nothing?" Cinder asked, still a little breathless.

"I mean...every now and then someone loses it and tries to attack her, but nothing happens. She acts like she didn't even feel it. I don't know how she does it. I think it's the Grimm."

"Are you saying she's freaking immortal like Salem?" Emerald began to panic. "How is that possible?"

"I don't think so," Hazel spoke. "While a knife may not have hurt her, she seemed wary of you, or our gift, more accurately. It's possible it's just that real weapons would not hurt her. I don't think she's immortal."

"Anyone else notice she's got grey hair?" Royal asked. "Guessing it's not natural like Merc's."

"No, she's gotten that in the last couple years," Esmeralda said. "And more lines in her face."

"Salem seemed to get worse over time too, from what I heard," Emerald mused. "It has to be the magic. But more importantly, what about those two people?"

"Nothing we can do for them," Hazel said. "If you're right, the Grimm won't eat them."

"Mala will kill them if that happens," Cinder said. "Probably she'll say it was the Grimm either way. She's a liar. So they're dead either way."

"I feel bad now," Emerald said.

"Look at it this way," Mercury said, "they'll still be better off than they would have been before. They would have died anyway."

The only remaining guard had disappeared from view now.

"What is she gonna do to us when she comes back?" Kate asked.

No one knew.

* * *

Mala dragged her two victims to the deepest part of the cavern, which was a bigger, hollow spot in it that had likely had dust in it at one point.

But now it just had Grimm. The core of the ones on the wall was like a big, huge mouth, like a fly trap. 

Here she would toss whatever victim she currently had in, and they'd be swallowed whole.

Most of the tribe didn't actually see this place in person; only her higher ups pushed people in.

Guarding the spot currently was the one they called the Mangler, whose real name was Pierre Pedir. [His name is a reference to the famous madman Robespierre of the French Revolution. His last name is a reference to the Spanish Inquisition, in that it means "to ask".]

Pierre was quite an artist of torturing people physically and had a Semblance that allowed him to increase pain, appropriately.

[Wonder what a battle between him and Hazel would be like.]

"Is it time for me to have a crack at the prisoners yet?" he asked Mala greedily.

"Sure." Mala had not really picked out her punishment for them yet, but she was livid. "Just after I take care of this."

The claws pushed the two turncoats forward.

"No, no, no..." Judy was mumbling.

"What did they do?" Pierre asked, without much interest.