BC64: Twisted (Heroes and Villains)-3

A few hours later, accordingly, Robyn found Cinder waiting outside the base.

Fiona was inside, waiting for Robyn.

"I hoped you packed your nighties, because this is not a round trip," Robyn said. "Good luck finding a ride home."

Cinder didn't bother to reply to that.

"So this is going to be the conversation level all night, isn't it?" Robyn tried again.

"Can we just go?" Cinder asked.

"Oh sure, Your Highness." Robyn tossed her hand.

No one asked her why someone else was with her; they were used to her picking up new hires.

Anyway, most of them knew Cinder left from the base often and didn't question it.

"Beats me how you go through here without people wanting to beat you up," Robyn said.

A presumptuous statement, the last part.

The flyer, Nancy Kettle, as it happened, didn't give Cinder a very nice look when she saw her, but she didn't argue.

Fiona took shotgun seat to avoid Cinder herself.

"So--" Robyn leaned on the hull of the ship while they were doing the check with the tower. "Mind if I ask, are you and Zapato going steady or anything? Or is he available?"

"What?" Cinder said hotly.

"I mean, he's pretty cute," Robyn said. "So just wondering."

"Aren't you a little old for him?" Cinder said easily the meanest thing she could have said--at least off the top of her head.

"I can't be that much older. Anyway why does that matter? Is that a no?" Robyn said.

"We're not together--why do people keep asking me that?!" Cinder snapped.

"I guess you just give off that vibe," Robyn said, then she scrutinized Cinder harder. "Unless you do like him."

"That's ridiculous. I'm not interested in that kind of thing," Cinder said.

"I've heard that one before," Robyn said. "Bull, I think. So other people have said it? Might be a sign."

"They're just trying to get on my nerves, like you are now."

"Maybe.... He does seem to follow you around though," Robyn said. "Sure he doesn't have a torch?"

"Yes," Cinder said.

"Really? Because that's him right now." Robyn nodded.

Cinder whirled around.

Royal hadn't actually been following her. He seemed to have just come out of one of the staff buildings--perhaps the training area, since he was carrying a gym bag.

He cast them a brief glance and nodded at Robyn before he recognized Cinder.

"Wait, this is where you were going?" he said, coming up. "What's going on?"

"I think she's escaping," Robyn said unhelpfully. "Well, shall we go?"

Nancy motioned at them impatiently.

"Hey, wait a second. Is this dangerous?" Royal asked.

"We have room for one more if you want to find out," Robyn said.

"What? I thought you said--" Cinder began.

"Oh, he's practically family. I'm sure Kettle won't mind."

Nancy shrugged. "Just get on or don't."

"Come on." Robyn yanked Royal on before he could say yes or no.