BC58: Capital Gains (Raven's team & Co.)--4

There was nothing special about Dawkin's house, it was a small oriental apartment like all the others on the street.

Kali rang the doorbell and stepped back.

But instead of a grown man, a girl about 6 or 7 opened the door and looked at them with huge eyes.

She had dog ears that looked like a golden retriever's, and darker tinted skin like she was from a warmer climate, usual for Mistral's middle cities.

No one was ready for this.

"What do you want?" she asked.

"We must have the wrong house after all," Kali said. "I'm sorry, we're looking for a Mr. Dawkins."

"Is that Daddy?" the girl asked.

"She's a faunus," Cinder said in a low tone. "Could be the right place."

"Most of this street is faunus," Gira said brusquely.

"Is your father home?" Kali asked.

"He's on one of his trips," the girl replied.

"Did he leave you alone?" Gira said, in a tone of quiet horror that she probably didn't understand.

"He said he'd be back soon," she replied innocently.

"Mother?" Kali said.

"I don't know her..." the girl saddened.

"My intuition says this is the right place," Cinder said. "Apparently, a little detail Tyrone forgot to mention was that he moved here because of a little responsibility."

"We shouldn't bring the child into this," Gira said. "But I fear she could be in danger if your suspicions about this fellow turn out to be correct."

"What do we do?" Kali said. "Surely we can't leave a small child alone unattended, especially under the circumstances, but we can't kidnap her either. Perhaps one of us should just stay here. I can."

"Are you sure that's safe?" Gira said.

"I'm sure I can handle anyone who comes by, and you need to find Dawkins, if he's not here, he's likely at the other place you mentioned," Kali said. "Listen, sweetie, does your father have ears like yours."

"Uh huh," the girl nodded.

"What's your name?" Kali asked.

"Carmine," she replied. "But everyone calls me Carrie."

[Carmine is a shade of deep red, so keeping with the color themes.]

"Okay, Carrie, I need to speak to your father, can I come in and wait for him?" Kali asked.

"He said not to let anyone in," Carrie said.

"I'm from the White Fang," Kali said. "Mrs. Belladonna. The Faunus Helping organization."

Carrie hesitated. "I don't know."

"Maybe I should just wait out here," Kali said to the others. "Better not push our violation of the code any further. Not that I think the council will care much what we faunus do to each other, but that's not an excuse for barbarism."

"Oh yes, entering a house to guard a child is so barbaric," Cinder said. "Where I come from, that's called angelic."

"If we want to find this Faunus before it's too late, we should hurry," Gira said. "Call us if anything odd happens."

Kali nodded.

Cinder and Gira left to get on a trolley to the pier. It wasn't as far for them, the apartments were already near it, the land was cheaper by it because the smell of fish was considered a deterrent for the upper class.