BC26: Break (Renora and Co.)-4

Ren had been worried when Nora had messaged him she was at the medical clinic and he should call her.

But he didn't expect her to not tell him what was wrong.

"Just, can you come here?" she asked, a bit tensely.

"I'm still working," Ren said.

He didn't hear the unit door shut, and he'd gone out of view of it, not liking to be seen if he got upset. But assuming it wasn't an emergency--he hoped--now he was a little irritated. "Can't you just tell me what's wrong?"

"I just don't want to talk about it over the scroll," Nora insisted.

Ren began to have some idea of what it might be and he went pale. 

"Nora..."

"Ren, please. Listen, Pyrrha's waiting here with me, so if you have to finish the job, fine. Maybe we'll just go back to her house and wait for the kids to come home. Just let me know when you're done," Nora said.

"Nora, is this...I mean, is this about something unexpected?" Ren asked.

"You could say anything would be unexpected," Nora said, vaguely. "Just let me know, all right?"

"All right, but--"

But Nora hung up after that.

Ren was so distracted, he barely remembered Cinder hadn't followed him yet.

He walked back to the dock.

Teach was waiting there.

"Where's Scon?" Ren asked.

"If you want your lady friend," Teach said, "she left. Said something about checking other docks. Also that she wasn't waiting for you to drag your feet."

That sounded just like Cinder.

"Which way?" Ren asked.

"She went that direction." Teach pointed to the far side of the landing pad. "But if she didn't have an ID or pass to be here, she'll probably get thrown out without you. Might want to hurry."

Ren left.

He only realized later that it was odd that Teach had assumed she had neither of those things without them ever mentioning it to him.

He didn't find Cinder anywhere and began thinking she had been escorted out, which he'd have to ask the front desk about if it happened.

Sun rejoined him to look for her and ask what happened, and to say that Blake wanted to help, if they still needed it, and was on her way.

"This is just like the old days, busting the White Fang," he said. "Except it's less personal, which makes it more fun."

"Cinder is so irresponsible." Ren was more irritable after Nora's call. "I can't believe she just walked away. She should know how risky that is for her."

"What can you do? She's always been pretty hard-headed." Sun barely knew Cinder, but he spoke very confidently about this. 

Just as they were going towards the front desk office again, Ren got a call from Shine.

"I wanted to know how it was going," she said, "and if Cinder is there, to tell her we talked to the pilot, and I'm pretty sure he's harmless. Which I always thought."

"Cinder wandered off." Ren was annoyed. "We're attempting to find her, but I think she must have been thrown off the base."

"She wandered off?" Shine at once saw the problem with that that he hadn't. "Why would she do that when she knew how easy it would be for her to get in trouble for it and they'd ask who she was?"