BC101: Temptation (Baba Tribe vs. Heroes)-1

[I'm sure everyone's gotten it by now, that the Baba Tribe is a reference to Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves. Mala's name is supposed to sound like "Ali" kind of, but her character is a genderbent reference to the greedy brother of Ali Baba in the story--who actually gets killed by the thieves because he wants their treasure. Also her name is a play off the Latin word "mal" which means "bad/evil/wrong". The previous leader, Gene, was a reference to the Genies of the story of Aladdin--or any other Arabian Nights, really. The genies are a lot less nice in the original stories than they are in the Disney version. Usually more sadistic too. Mala's mother, Hellena, was both a play on the "hell" sound and could be seen as reference to Helen of Troy, who was kidnapped for her beauty and wanted to get back to her previous husband... However, that story had a happy ending, unlike this Hellena's.

Esmeralda is, as I'm sure was guessed, a reference to The Hunchback of Notre Dame story, but she's actually a combination of Quasimodo's and Esmeralda's characters both.

Now that I've gotten everyone caught up on the lore, back to our story.]

Before Mala found out about the incident in the "medical area", she had other plans for Royal.

At first she just asked him if there were any more of them coming.

Since he didn't answer, of course, she got bored.

"I guess we'll see if you're as good as they say," she said. "Come on, boys."

She motioned for them to follow her.

Their hideout seemed never ending. Every time you thought it was over, there was another bend and nook in the cavern that held other things.

The Grimm were still all over it.

"Just so you know," Royal said, as they went, "whatever you do to me, I'm not going to help you."

"You're not the first to say that--initially," Mala said. "In fact...hold up." She held up her hand. "This might be a good chance for a teachable moment. You, come here."

She'd spotted someone.

Royal didn't know who to expect, but the man who came over to them, slowly, was... At first he didn't recognize him, but then he thought he did.

Wasn't it Ali? Jasmine's husband?

But he was much changed. Much thinner, with a rough beard now, and dark circles under his eyes.

Also, not his usual sharp expression. Royal had only met him once, but he recalled him being a very alert sort of guy.

"This is one of our newer initiates." Mala pointed at him with her knife. "We're calling him Lamp, since he's got so many bright ideas... Yes, the others come up with the nicknames." She rolled her eyes. "But whatever. Perhaps you remember him."

"What did you do to him?" Royal asked.

"We gave him a chance to serve us," one of the guards spoke up. "He's a good man for a fight."

"Yes, that whole Menagerie business was partially his idea, you know," Mala said. "Inspired, thinking of sneaking things on, using that ship and that orphanage."

"You... No, Ali would never do that to those people," Royal said. "You're lying about this to make me feel intimidated."

"Am I?" Mala said.

Ali looked up. "It was necessary," he said flatly. "To survive."

"Survive?" Royal said. "Sir...Al...what have they done to you? But I can't believe you actually are under their control, totally. What about Jasmine? Don't you remember her?"