Bonus Chapter 1: Home Again (The DJs)

Batman was minding his own business in The Base, and Shayera and Diana were talking down by the catwalk. It had been a slow day.

"So they've been gone how long?" Diana was asking.

"I'd say three days." Shayera held up a sheet of paper with writing on it. "But it's been over three months. For them. And things have been absolutely crazy." She muttered a Thanagarian expletive.

"By the 9 muses," Diana echoed with humor, since it was a weird one even for her. "How do they fit it all in?"

"Well, listen to this part." Shayera looked down. "'You'll be happy to know the evil gorgon lady wasn't as bad as we thought. Shine and her had tea.'"

"Is he talking about the one who was trying to destroy their world?" Diana said.

"Yeah, and Wall--Flash is saying she wasn't as bad as they thought," Shayera said.

"Consider the source." Diana folded her arms. "I mean, they'd say that about...almost anyone."

"Hmrf. I ever hear them talk about someone who they can't stand, I'll run," Shayera agreed. "But I suppose as long as they're safe. I gotta admit, Flash being off without the League in another dimension? A new concern for me."

"It's not like it's never happened before..." Diana said.

"And was it ever an easy situation?" Shayera said.

"True..." Diana agreed. "So nothing since then?"

"I don't know. Maybe they were too busy, or maybe gorgon lady was worse than they thought," Shayera said.

Batman glanced down at them like he could hear, though he really shouldn't have been able to, at least not well.

"Do you think he can lip read?" Diana asked.

"Is there anything he can't do except emote?" Shayera said dryly.

Vigilante walked in and by them. 

"Mornin', ladies." He tipped his hat. "Any word from 'em yet?"

"Not since earlier." Shayera held up the letter. "It could have been a week for them."

"Should we start climbing the walls?" Diana wondered. 

"It'll take more than a few varmints to stop them," Vigilante said.

"A few? Try an army of...what were they?..." Sheyera consulted the paper. "Demon-animal, soul-eating monsters with attitude.... Oh, and for extra fun, mind-invading ones."

"Again, we've dealt with that before," Diana said.

"With a J'onn," Shayera said.

"You worry too much," Vigilante pronounced. "Now, they'll walk right in one of them fancy doorways any second and probably ask what's for lunch."

"That specific--?" Diana began.

There was a bright flash farther below them.

Shayera and her looked down.

Flash and Shine were standing on the smooth tile of The Base's ground floor, looking around.

"Yes! Home again!" Flash said.

"Don't kiss the floor," Shine said.

"I'd rather kiss you," Flash said, giving her a hug. "Boy, is it good to see a familiar building again.... Gosh, I didn't even know how bad I missed it till now."

"Flash?" Shayera flew down and folded her wings, then she hugged him. Then she slugged him. "You can't just write your last note talking about death witches and gods and then not follow it up! Do you know how long it's been waiting for it?"