chapter 40: i see you

Ngalu pushed Lo'ak and herself behind the vines of the tree and stood in front of him. 'What are you doing?' He asked confused.

'Stop, just stop.' She said, pointing her finger at him.

He had a puzzled expression on his face. What could she mean? 'Stop what?'

'Stop making me feel things. It wasn't supposed to be you. I am supposed hate you.' She hissed, pointing to him. She tried to make herself believe in her lies. When in reality, she was just afraid of her feelings for him and how strong they were. Just like Lo'ak was.

That dream really opened her eyes. She actually wants him. For real. She wants to be his in every way possible. And that scared the hell out of her.

'Ouch.' He said, ears lowering. Hearing Ngalu say that, made him mad. Like he was annoyed that she thought that. 'Do you think I meant to fall for you? I was supposed to be with Tsireya and you with Neteyam. I tried to keep my feelings to myself but they grew too strong. Besides, I could never actually be with you.'

Ngalu tilted her head to the side. 'What do you mean?'

'Your mother despises me. The whole clan hates me. Demon blood, alien, that's all they see.' Lo'ak held up one of his hands to show his four fingers. Ngalu never had a problem with his hands.

She sighed, swallowing as she grabbed his hand. She held onto his smallest finger while looking into his eyes. She was debating if she could say this to him. What if it ruins everything? But she wants him. She loves him. She knows that now. 'Lo'ak, I see you.'

His eyes met hers as he relaxed his eyebrows. It was like his eyes sparkled, a facial expression that showed slight disbelief.

'I see you.' Ngalu told him again. 'All of those words mean nothing to me. From the moment I saw you, I knew it was you. I tried to believe my lies, that I wanted your brother instead of you. I wanted to make my sister happy. But I hated myself for making that decision. You were the first person to catch my eye. You are the only person I enjoy fighting with as you finally brought a new adventure in my life. You made me realize I should be proud of the person I have become. Who gives a shit about what Ronal thinks? I am ready to continue this adventure, with you.'

He couldn't contain himself any longer. He put both of his hands on her cheeks. He stared into her eyes before finally pressing his lips onto hers. He wrapped his arms around her as they got tangled in one another. She could feel him smiling against her lips. As they slowly backed away, they put their foreheads against each other. 'I wanted to do that so bad.' Lo'ak said relieved as he still held her cheeks. Ngalu let out a soft chuckle.

This beautiful moment got disrupted very quickly. Someone blew the horn, making Lo'ak and Ngalu jump away from each other. 'Shit.' Ngalu grabbed Lo'ak's hand and ran out of their tree together. This couldn't be good.

Once they made it, she noticed Ronal crying as a group of Na'vi already formed around them. They were giving some kind of speech. She didn't exactly listen to it as she noticed Tsireya standing across from her. Ngalu and Lo'ak moved their way through the crowd as she finally got to her. 'What's going on?' Ngalu whispered to her sister.

'I have no idea.' Tsireya said, looking around and trying her best to listen to her mother.

'My spirit sister was murdered!' Ronal spoke. That's all Ngalu had to hear. Her eyebrows shot up as her eyes sank. Her hand met with her mouth while her eyes started to become cloudy. She could slowly hear Tsireya gasp and start to sob next to her. They knew about the hunting of Tulkun. But that was across the ocean, now it came to their home. Ngalu found herself growing angry.

Lo'ak saw too as he felt her grip on his hand getting stronger. He looked at her, worry in his eyes as he rubbed his thumb against her hand. It wasn't helping.

They were talking about attacking. Killing the Sky People for what they had done to them. But Jake told them that was a stupid idea, as the Sky People wanted them to attack.

The people weren't listening and continued their pukana, already getting ready for war. Ngalu didn't want war but if it came down to it, she will fight for her people. That's what a strong Olo'eyktan would do anyways.

Jake continued talking about the Tulkun as he held up a red object, making everybody gasp. Now they were silent alright. They had to tell the Tulkun that they were marked for death if they were shot by one of those. Ronal and Tonowari told everybody to warn the Tulkun, making everybody run away while yelling.

Ngalu was done. She ran away to the dock, calling her Ilu as she grabbed a saddle to put on him. She didn't realize she was being followed.

Lo'ak ran up to mount his Ilu as well, expecting to follow Ngalu into the water. She looked at him with a confused expression. 'What are you doing?'

'I'm coming with you.' He said, throwing some food at his Ilu to feed it.

'The hell you are.' Ngalu stood up straight, placing her hands on her hips.

He furrowed his eyebrows. 'Payakan is outcast. He has nobody to warn him but me. I'm going.' He told her. He was getting impatient.

'Lo'ak, no. You are staying. I will tell Payakan. I want you to stay here.' She said, getting a little bit frustrated with him. 'It is too dangerous.' She later added.

Lo'ak saw her worry and anger. He felt guilty. So fucking guilty.

'Shit, this should've never happened.' Lo'ak rubbed the back of his head as he looked worried, pacing back and forth.

Ngalu's eyes showed confusion. 'What are you saying?'

Lo'ak's eyes met with hers as he stopped in his tracks. He had a sorry look on his face.

Then something clicked in Ngalu's head. They didn't just come here to seek sanctuary for his family for nothing. They were running away. Running away from war.

'It was because of you? You brought this war here. And you didn't tell me?' Ngalu's voice cracked as her lips curled downward.

'I wanted to but it was for your own safety and I forgot and—' He tried to get a hold of her hands as she smacked his away.

'No, stop it.' She shook her head as she backed away from him. 'I trusted you.' She pointed her finger at him.

'No Ngalu, please don't do this to me.' He begged her with a breathy voice, almost not able to get it out. He looked scared. His eyes sunken and his ears pointed down. Truth be told, he was scared.

He was scared that he was going to lose the love of his life.

But he was too late. She already jumped into the water, rapidly swimming off to fight for her people.