chapter 37: special place

'Aonung, you are such an idiot.' Ngalu smacked the back of his head as he laughed while picking up another seashell and putting it in his pouch.

Ngalu searched the sands beneath her once again, looking for pretty and most importantly intact seashells.

'I'm happy we still do this.' Aonung told her while he stopped looking for a moment.

Her head shot up to meet his eyes as she smiled at the boy. 'Of course.'

'I'm also happy you told me about your real family.' He said, fidgeting with his fingers while looking at them.

Ngalu laughed at Aonungs sudden shyness. This wasn't like him at all. He's usually overly confident. 'Aonung.' She said, putting a hand on his shoulder. 'You are my real family too.'

Lo'ak had been wandering around for a few hours. He found out that Tsireya had a boyfriend. It was weird, how he felt. It was like he didn't even care. Even though he spent a lot of time with her and was supposed to fall for her eventually. That didn't happen, he fell for her sister out of all people. Tsireya looked like she'd made her peace with it. Her boyfriend would treat her better than him, he thought.

The path was clear now. Nobody stood in their way. "Neteyam and Ngalu" was old news. He had the green light.

He thought it was rather hard, he wanted to do something romantic with Ngalu to show his interest in her. Should he take her on a date? And what would they do? It was easy with the girls at home. He would only shoot them a smirk and they'd flock around him like sheep. Ngalu wasn't like that. If she even liked him, she would never admit it out loud. She's way too stubborn. Flying on his Ikran was romantic and she asked when they could do it again so he knew that she liked it. But it was something that seemed more casual.

Footsteps could be heard from behind Lo'ak. He was too caught up in his thoughts to really notice them though. And suddenly, two arms slithered around his waist and pulled him close as a screech sounded followed by a yelp from Lo'ak.

He turned around and saw Ngalu falling to the ground, grabbing her stomach. 'You have got to stop doing that!' He yelled.

'No, I don't think I ever could.' She slapped the sand, dying of laughter.

'Get up, idiot.' Lo'ak lifted her off the ground by grabbing her arm, making sure he didn't hurt her in the process.

They looked at each other for a moment. Ngalu calmed down once her eyes met his. 'Hey, do you want to see something nice.'

I already am. 'Sure.'

'Race you to it.' She said, smirking at him.

'Game on.' Lo'ak grinned.

'On the count of three, alright?' Ngalu asked the boy, narrowing her eyes and getting in position.

Lo'ak nodded, doing the same thing.

'Onetwothreego!' She yelled while running off.

'How the hell is that fair!' Lo'ak yelled at her, running as fast as he could to try and catch up with her. 'Damn, she's fast.' He couldn't even come close to her.

It was almost eclipse when they reached the place where Ngalu wanted to take Lo'ak. It was a large tree with vines almost reaching the ground. It had all kinds of pretty and colorful flowers scattered across the leaves.

'Wow.' Lo'ak said as the tree slowly began to glow greens, blues and pinks when the sun hid behind the moon.

Ngalu smiled at his admiring face. He looked so cute. 'Come.' She grabbed his hand and intertwined their fingers, pulling him with her.