chapter 25: keeping secrets

Neteyam didn't know what to feel. He was dumbfounded. He couldn't believe his eyes. Lo'ak was actually showing affection. Not in a way Neteyam liked it but he was. He saw the way Lo'ak looked at her. That was new. He'd never seen him look at someone like that before.

They would spend a lot of time with many female Na'vi back home. They all seemed to form some kind of interest towards the two boys. They were the sons of Olo'eyktan and more importantly, of Toruk Makto. Every mother wanted their daughter to mate with the boys. The girls didn't mind that much because, come on, have you looked at them? They are very easy on the eye and had very likable personalities.

Neteyam absolutely hated it, being followed by girls all day. But Lo'ak loved every second of it. Knowing he was wanted by so many girls. He'd flirt and tease them, knowing he would never mate with one of them. And boy, how those girls would eat it up. They all thought they had a chance. Batting their eyelashes and smiling all shy, he loved the effect he had on them.

Neteyam thought back to every memory he had with Ngalu. Was it all platonic? Some moments were and some weren't. Were they better off as friends? But, Lo'ak is with Tsireya, Ngalu's sister. She seemed so in love with him. Lo'ak told him he was into her. It was all just a cover up, he thought.

It was refreshing however, seeing his brother actually be happy for once.

A small part of him thought that Lo'ak kept his feelings locked away for him.

Training at home was hard. Neteyam spent hours upon hours training to become the next Olo'eyktan. Lo'ak could do whatever he liked, he was free. Neteyam envied that. He didn't have a lot of time to spend with his siblings. Everything he did was so he could become a great leader once it was Jakes time to retire.

Neteyam saw how much it impacted Lo'ak. The two of them used to be attached at the hip. Like two peas in a pod they would do everything- and go everywhere together.

When Neteyam got older, he had to train more. Up to the point where he couldn't spend any time with his younger brother anymore.

Lo'ak would tell him that it was fine and that it didn't matter as long as he could be his brothers right hand when he became Olo'eyktan. Neteyam would always tell him that he wouldn't want anyone else to be.

All Neteyam wanted was for his brother to be happy. He knew how much it hurt him to leave his home.

Neteyam had to act tough for his family. Like a safety net for his parents to fall back on. On the inside, it hurt him so much. How he had to leave his clan and his family. Was he still going to become Olo'eyktan? Was all of that training for nothing, did he waste his time?

He had to crop everything up and push it down, forcing a smile on his face everyday.

He knew it would comfort his siblings, how he agreed on the move and saw the bright side of things. He noticed how comfortable and happy everyone was. If Neteyam rebelled as well, all of them would have a miserable time here.

Even Lo'ak believed him.

His relationship with his brother already had a dent in it. Lo'ak acted cold weeks before they left. Neteyam thought he was probably attention starved and left him to do his own thing while he had to train.

But lately Lo'ak had been opening up. He smiled more, talked more and seemed genuinely happy. He hadn't seen him like that for a while.

But that moment with Ngalu made everything fall into place.

Neteyam liked Ngalu, of course. She was pretty, really funny and had an amazing personality. But now come to think of it, was it ever romantic? Yes they held hands and yes they would stare into each others eyes a little longer than regular friends would do. But what if they were both under the impression that it was romantic while it will never be? They were just really close friends.

Neteyam found something in her that he hadn't found outside of his family before.

A real friend.

'I don't want to tell you before I told Neteyam.' She blurted out.

Lo'ak looked at her with a surprised look on his face. 'What?'

'You heard me.' She said, folding her arms at him.

'Why?' Ouch, he thought. It was like she liked Neteyam more than him. Which she probably did. But it hurt more, actually hearing it from her.

'Because he deserves to know first.'

He sighed. Why not me, he thought to himself. What made him so special?

That was his cue. Neteyam ruffled the bushes a little so the two would know he was coming. They had a few seconds to quickly step away from each other. 'Hey guys, what are you doing?' He asked, acting like he didn't just hear their whole conversation.

Lo'ak and Ngalu shot each other a look. 'Just talking.' Ngalu said while Lo'ak was still blushing beside her.

'You seem to be "talking" an awful lot lately.' Neteyam said making Ngalu's eyes grow bigger.

'What, no!' She yelled at him.

Maybe a little too soon for the teasing.

'Ngalu wants to talk to you.' Lo'ak said, speeding up the proces. Ngalu shot him a look before smiling back at Neteyam.

Neteyam smiled. 'Alright, let's do it then.' He grabbed onto her hand, looking over at Lo'ak who rolled his eyes with an annoyed expression on his face. Neteyam had to resist the urge to laugh at his ridiculous face.

He is going to love teasing him with this.

Before they walked around the corner, Ngalu swiftly looked over at Lo'ak. He was already staring at her while sitting on the log she was sitting on earlier.

Waiting for her return.