Chapter thirty four

Jia's POV:

I sat on the crappy bed of my cell and thought about how everything in my life had turned upside down in a matter of days. As much as I would like to blame this all on my brothers, I just couldn't. Yes, everything in my life changed ever since mom married their dad but at the same time everything got better. I finally had a family that loved me, even though they struggled to show it. They cared for me and wouldn't leave me. Instead, I was the one who left them. I became my own dad, which I had promised to myself I would never become.

"If we had all had more patience...if we hadn't let our anger get to us...if I hadn't run away...none of this would have happened..." I muttered to myself as I held my knees to my chest.

I could feel myself slowly slipping from this world. I have been beaten more in the past days than my mom's ex-fiance ever had. Scars that had healed had been reopened. I honestly didn't feel the will to live anymore. I wished that death would come sooner, take me out of my misery.

However, there was a part of me that still screamed at me to fight on. Fight to see my mom and dad again. Fight to see my friends again. Fight to see my brothers again and apologize for everything. Fight to prove that I wasn't like my birth father and I would never become like him again. Fight for OneDream. Fight for a second chance.

I had made up my mind when I heard the cell door open. I looked to see two men walk into my room with two guns pointed at me. "Can I help you?" I asked in a bored tone, staring straight at the gun barrel. The guards didn't move and just continued to point the guns at me. "You aren't going to kill me, I know that. You are under orders not to. Your boss has to meet me first and believe me I am just jumping for joy at the thought of meeting him myself now."

"We can't kill you but that doesn't mean we can't harm you if you don't shut up." One of the guards spoke in a gruff voice.

I looked at my fingernails, trying my best to keep up the tough act I was putting on. "Like you can do any worse than what's already been done. I bet that's why he sent you two. He knew you can't beat what's already been done." I looked at them, imitating the cold look I've seen my brothers wear so many times. "It's because I know this, which is why I'm not scared of you. Now if they sent in the guy before you, then oh yeah I would be scared out of my mind now." I held my head up by one of my hands, hoping that my words would hurt their egos.

As I suspected, both of them took huge steps towards me, their guns lowering to their sides. I took this small opportunity and hit them both in the head with the metal tray I had stashed from the last meal they gave me. As much as I despised violence, desperate times call for desperate measures. I made a mad dash for the cell door and slammed it shut before the two men could realize what had happened. One thing I knew very well from my time in the cell was that there was no way out once you were inside.

In my planning, I didn't think through the next steps I would take once I was out of the cell. I had no clue where I ever was or were to go next. I had no weapon to defend myself with and I was crazy weak from barely eating or moving.

Next time think before you act! I could feel my brain practically hitting itself repeatedly.

A sudden loud noise came from above and the whole place started to shake rapidly. That's always a good sign. I knew that staying put wasn't a smart option. Clearly, some kind of attack was happening and they wouldn't let their 'leverage' get away that quickly. Besides, if there was an attack happening then hopefully the other side is friendly and willing to help me. Either way, I will take my chances with them then the people here.

I started to move as fast as I could, having to grab onto the wall to stabilize myself. If I had known I was escaping today, I would have eaten that last meal all the way! The further I moved away from my cell, the more lost I became. I could hear the noise of voices screaming but they were followed shortly by gunshots. Something told me that that was not the way I wanted to go. My breathing was rapid and so was my heart beat. I was paranoid at every turn that I would run into someone. Enemy or not, I don't think they would hesitate to shoot me on the spot.