The End Of The Wire

"Where do the careers feel safest? The jungle?" Beetee questioned.

"The jungle is a nightmare," Johanna laughed.

"How about here on the beach?" Peeta suggested.

"But they're not here, why?" Beetee asked,

"Because we are," I said.

"We claimed it," Jo added.

"And if we left they would come?" Beetee continued.

"Or stay hidden in the tree line," Finnick piped up.

"Which in just 4 hours will be soaked with water from the ten o'clock wave," he explained, "then what happens at midnight?"

"Lightning strikes that tree," Katniss said.

"Precisely, here's what I propose, we leave the beach at dusk and head to the lightning tree, that should lead them back to the beach, prior to midnight, we then run this wire from the tree to the water. Anyone in the water or the damp sand will be electrocuted," the man explained.

I had to hand it to him. It was smart.

"How do we know the wire's not going to burn up?" Jo asked.

"Because I invited it," Beetee replied, "and I can assure you it won't burn up."

Finnick, Johanna and I shared a look before Jo spoke up, "Well it's better than hunting them down."

"Yeah, why not?" Katniss added, "if it fails no harm done anyway right?"

"I say we try it," Peeta agreed.

"What can we do to help?" Finnick asked.

"Keep me alive for the next 6 hours and we'll be good," Beetee smiled.

***
Peeta and Katniss went and sat by the waves after that as we waited for dusk to arrive. I watched them together wishing it could be me and Finnick. Beetee and Johanna started discussing things further.

"This wasn't just to kill the careers right?" She asked.

"Well I'm hoping the lighting will rebound and break the forcefield but it's not guarantee," he sighed.

"What can we do?" I asked.

"I'm going to ask Johanna and yourself to go with Katniss and you will have to figure out a way to cut out her tracker. The hovercraft will take her then," Beetee said.

"What about Peeta?" I asked.

"Finnick will 'guard' me with him and we'll find out a way to cut out his tracker, we also have to cut out our own, so when the time is right, do so," he instructed.

"Got it," Finnick said.

Slowly I let my hand slip into his and we found ourselves walking down the beach.

"What if she kills us?" I asked.

"Katniss?" Finnick asked.

"Yeah, she's not exactly predictable," I said, "and when the careers die she might be thinking to kill us."

"We just have to remind her who the real enemy is, like Haymitch said," Finnick murmured.