Realisations

V I T O

The car ride was silent as the two Spanish Mafia members drove Xavier and I to Carlos.

There's only a handful of times in my life where I have been nervous; when my mother gave birth to my siblings, when I found out Liv and Theo would be returning home, then both running away, taking over the mafia.

But nothing compared to the fear I felt when all their lives were in danger. When I found out Gloria was being sold off to a monster, when she became pregnant with my child, when Liv was kidnapped by our enemies.

And the ultimate rage I felt at the sight of all the scars, old and new, that covered Liv's body. The day I was told my wife was dead.

"Mr Ramirez, Don Vitale, we are here." The passenger said, his deep Spanish accent breaking the silence in the car.

With that, Xavier and I climbed out of the vehicle.

In front of me was a large villa, decorated with pale coloured bricks and vines, a huge driveway packed with sports cars. Trees to hide away from the blazing sun, also providing perfect guard spots along the perimeter of the estate that was built with a huge light beige coloured brick wall. Xavier's neutral face turned into a frown at the sight of the estate we were in.

His childhood home.

"If you would follow me, I will guide you to the Don." Xavier began following the man, while I remained in awe for a moment.

This was the villa I had snuck into many times before, constantly flying out to Spain for business. This is the home where the love of my life grew up...

"Vito." Xavier caught my attention, seeing that he was even closer to the doors.

"You go ahead, I'll -"

That was when I saw the look on his face, silently begging me to come with him.

The realisation washed over my face at the fact that he wouldn't be able to enter this building alone. This place was where he saw his mother being beaten and tortured by his father. This was where he and his brother lost their relationship. Where Gloria was abused just for being born a girl.

I cut myself off and followed after him, seeing relief flow through his features.

We passed through the corridors, all of them a light colour of brown or white or beige, the furniture all a dark oak.

We ended up passing through the kitchen, before being led out onto a patio.

There, looking out at the sea, was Carlos Ramirez.

He had short black hair, almost a buzz cut. And the same brown eyes as Xavier, standing roughly at my height. He was dressed in a navy blue Armani suit, sipping away at a glass of scotch.

"Don Vitale." He greeted with a pained smile, "Xavier."

"Don Ramirez." I greeted in return, while Xavier just nodded his head.

"Thank you for returning my little brother." Carlos said, motioning for us to take a seat opposite him on the cushioned patio furniture.