15

Kentrell Gaulden Baton Rouge, Louisiana February 4th, 2021

Kentrell Gaulden
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
February 4th, 2021

"I'm at the lil place na', ion think she hea' she would've texted me or sum." Kentrell spoke over the phone with Montana. Last night the two caught a flight to BR to get the DNA test done. "Hold up she callin' me na'." Kentrell removed the phone away from his ear seeing Nia was calling him.

Montana hung up and Kentrell answered the phone for Nia. "wassup?" Kentrell said first.

"I'm here, if you're at the place you can come in now." she said.

"Ight I'm comin' na'." Kentrell said before hanging up. "Lemme go get this shit over with." he mumbled to himself getting out the car. Kentrell walked to the building, opening the door he looked around for his "babymother." he seen her and made his way to her.

He sat down next to her. "Nia?" he eyed her making her turn to the side. "How long this shit supposed to take?"

"I don't know?" she made a face. "The lady at the front told me the doctor will be with us shortly." she looked up from her phone to look at him.

Nia honestly didn't want nothing from Kentrell but him to be in his son's life, that's it. "Where he at now?" Kentrell asked referring to Taylin.

"He's with my mother." she kept it short. It fell silent between the two and Nia loved it.

Five minutes passed, the doctor finally called Nia to come to the back. "Hi you two! My name is Dr.Reyes and today we're supposed to be taking a DNA test?" Dr.Reyes asked to confirm what was supposed to be going on today.

"Yes." Nia nodded.

"Okay, who's the one taking the test?" Dr.Reyes looked between the two people who was seated in front of her.

"Me." Kentrell finally spoke for the first time since being in the room. "I gotta question, how long will it take for us to get tha' lil results back?"

"It usually takes about two or three day's but you can get it faster if you pay more." the doctor explained to him. "If you pay more you can get the results back in two or three hours."

"Ight I wanna do that." he quickly said. He wanted the results as soon as possible.

"Okay I can do that for you. Once I get your DNA I can get it quickly to the lap." she sat her clip board down on the counter. "You can gone ahead and sit on that chair for me while I get everything I need." she pointed to the chair that was centered in the middle of the room.

Kentrell got up from beside Nia and went to sit in the chair the doctor told him to sit on. As he did that Dr.Reyes got everything from the cabinets and drawers, she had got out an long q-tip, a napkin, two gloves, and a clear long bag to place the q-tip in once she was done getting Kentrell DNA.

Dr.Reyes placed everything on a metal tray, bringing it over towards the chair the man was seated on she placed the tray on the stand that was connected to the chair. "Okay for this produce all you have to do is to open your mouth wide so I can swap the side of your mouth, your buccal mucosa." Dr.Reyes explained the produce as Kentrell scrunched his face up.

"You have to do my mouth?" he asked with a slight mug on his face.

"Yes. Now open wide so we can get this over with." she put all her weight on one leg, holding the q-tip.

Nia chuckled at what the doctor said while Kentrell slowly opened his mouth. Once Kentrell mouth was widely open the doctor put the q-tip on the side of his check, going up and down and sideways.

The doctor took the q-tip from out of his mouth causing Kentrell to quickly close his mouth. "Okay, now we're done you guys can wait in the room until the results come back or you guys can leave and we'll call once we get the results. It's up to y'all." she placed the q-tip in the long clear bag.

"We'll leave then come back once I get a call." Nia spoke up. she didn't want to wait in a small, cold room.

"Okay, then y'all are free to go." she smiled.

The both of them got up from their chairs quietly leaving out the room. "How this finna go?" Kentrell asked Nia once they reached outside.

"When they call me I can come get the results and we can meet up somewhere, I'm also bringing Taylin with me." she suggested what they could do. "So you can finally meet him."

"Ight we can do that, just call me or whateva'." Kentrell looked around outside.

"Mhm k." within that Nia walked off to her car and Kentrell did the same.

*

"Tee we heading back to the jet na'." Kentrell spoke over the phone with his sister. "He with me." Kentrell looked down at his son, Taylin who was currently playing games on his ipad.

"Come on Kentrell the jet ready for us." Montana called out from the top of the jet stairs.

"I'm comin'." Kentrell nodded. "Tee imma call you when I land, ight I love you too." Kentrell said before hanging up.

Earlier the doctor called Nia back telling her the results came in, Nia did what she told Kentrell. They meet up at a park so Taylin can play around while they talked about co-parenting. Taylin was ninety-nine percent Kentrell child, Kentrell didn't know how to feel but he was happy.

He asked Nia if he can keep Taylin for two weeks so he can bond with him, of course Nia said yes because that was all she wanted! Taylin knew of his dad because he listened to his music all the time. Taylin wasn't shy around Kentrell or anything.

Kentrell picked up Taylin so it can be faster for both of them to get in the jet, getting in the jet Kentrell placed Taylin down and he ran to go sit in a seat.

"Daddy mode on." Montana joked. "How you feeling though?"

Kentrell shrugged. "Ion even know, shit don't even feel real if I'm bein' honest." he sat across from Taylin after he buckled him in. "I just hate how she came to us years later, missed out on so much in his life."

"Aye, at least you got him now! Get to know him and shit once you did that you'll feel like you been knowing him since he was born."

Kentrell nodded. "Taytay you okay?"

"Yes!" he shouted making the two men laugh.