Fifty-Two - Colby

Buffet time! We had sat Octavia down in the living room with the countdown show on the screen. I sat beside her after a minute, allowing her to snuggle into my side. Mom brought out the plates in twos, Dad helping her. I could see the shock on Octavia's face. "Oh my god! That's a lot of food!"

"It's how we Brocks eat," Dad said. Mom came out with the last plate, placing it on the large coffee table that finally had a purpose for being so big. Gage sat down on the couch with Mom and Dad so you just know that Octavia and I are gonna lie down soon. We ate food first, laughing as the count down was going on. Eventually, somehow at the same time, we all got full. I laid down on my back, taking up most of the space. Octavia laid on her side next to me, slipping one arm under my neck and the other laid lazily across my chest. Her head leaned both on the seat behind her and my shoulder. I made sure my one arm was around her, my other hanging off of the couch itself. If I were to look at Octavia and she was to look at my face, we'd almost be kissing. That'd be perfect for at midnight.

The count down finally started after a painful amount of talking. "3," the screen yelled. "2... 1... Happy new year!!" I turned to Octavia at the same time as she looked at me. I held our kiss for a few seconds, not letting her move away from me. 

"Cut it out, guys," Gage complained. If only he'd shut the fuck up. I pulled away smiling and so did Octavia. She hid her face in my neck to avoid the three people looking at us. I just rolled my eyes at Gage.

"Shut up, man, seriously," I said. Gage rolled his eyes as he sat back. Mom was staring and smiling while Dad was in the process of looking away. The others couldn't see but Octavia kissed my neck a few times before shuffling. I looked down at her angelic face, her eyes closed. I am so damn lucky.