Chapter 20

Last night, I found myself drawn back into the depths of my own turmoil. The intense critique from Aizawa, the weight of my own expectations, and the pressure to succeed as a hero had weighed heavily on my mind. In the quiet solitude of my room, I had struggled to make sense of the whirlwind of emotions that threatened to overwhelm me once again.

The days had blurred together as I navigated the familiar corridors of U.A. High, the once-familiar surroundings now shrouded in a haze of uncertainty and self-doubt. Despite my best efforts to push through my insecurities, I had found myself slipping back into old patterns of thought and behaviour, the darkness of my depression creeping back into the forefront of my mind.

Each passing moment had felt like a battle against my own inner demons, as I had grappled with feelings of worthlessness and hopelessness that had threatened to consume me whole. I had withdrawn into myself, retreating from the prying eyes of my classmates and friends, as I had struggled to find solace in the silence of my own thoughts.

Sleep had eluded me, my mind plagued by racing thoughts and feelings of anxiety that had refused to relent. The weight of my own expectations had borne down on me, suffocating me with its relentless pressure and leaving me gasping for air. In the midst of the darkness, I had found myself questioning whether I would ever be able to break free from the chains that had bound me, to rise above my own insecurities and find my place in the world as a hero.

I sat down in my seat, I didn't want to speak with anyone, I was a mess, my hair was unkempt, my exterior appearance reflected the inner turmoil I was suffering through. And I think Tenya noticed.

"Are you ok?" He texted me from across the classroom, it was strange to see him break school rules.

"Mhm." I put on a fake smile, I was nervous that he could see through my fading facade.

"Good news, you're all going to the camp." Aizawa spoke from the front of the class. We all cheered, I sat quiet. "But, those of you who failed the practical exam will be required to take extra classes to support their academic learning whilst we are away. Class dismissed."

"We'll be gone? For a week!?" I gasped, everyone looked at me.

"Yeah, what's the big deal about that?" Denki asked.

"I've never been away from my dad for that long before." I breathed heavily. "I worry about him a lot."

"It's all ok Amao, you won't need to worry since you have all of us!" Tenya held my arm, that same feeling like from in the bathroom yesterday arose, I was confused, I didn't know what to do.

"Thank you." I whispered.

After class, Tenya caught up with me to walk home.

"Amao, how've you been feeling?" He walked next to me.

"I don't know." I admitted. "I can feel myself starting to slip."

"Look, I know you always try to be there for everyone else, but you need to remember yourself too." He told me. "And that starts with shopping tomorrow, I'm going to treat you to a coffee, take your mind off things."

"Iida, c'mon, you don't have to do that." I nudged his shoulder.

"When have you ever called me by my second name when we are alone?" He put his hand on my shoulder, usually, this was a trigger of mine, but Tenya's hand felt different, warm and welcoming.

"Just now, that's when." I chuckled, skipping towards my dads restaurant. "Come pick me up tomorrow?"

"You got it." The mighty midnight haired male then sped off.

Tenya POV

As I reflect on the beginnings of my feelings for Amao, I recall the subtle shifts in our interactions that hinted at something deeper than friendship. It started with small gestures and moments that seemed insignificant at the time but lingered in my thoughts long after they occurred. I found myself drawn to Amao's presence, seeking out opportunities to spend time with him and engage in meaningful conversations. His laughter became like music to my ears, brightening even the darkest of days with its infectious warmth. I cherished the moments we shared, whether it was studying together in the library or simply enjoying each other's company during lunch breaks.

As time went on, I began to notice a fluttering sensation in my chest whenever Amao was near, a feeling that I couldn't quite understand but couldn't ignore either. My heart would race at the sound of his voice, and I found myself blushing at the slightest touch or glance exchanged between us. I dismissed these feelings at first, attributing them to mere admiration or friendship, but deep down, I knew there was something more beneath the surface. It wasn't until Amao's confession that I finally began to acknowledge the truth of my own emotions, realising that what I felt for him went beyond friendship and bordered on something much deeper and more profound.

The Next day / Amao POV

It was the weekend, Tenya had picked me up and now we were with the rest of the class at the shopping mall. I was nervous considering the amount of people there were.

"Let's meet up at 3." Kiri pointed to the clock on the wall.

"I like that idea." I replied. "Let's go shopping, Tenya."

I pulled Tenya with me and we began to look at the different clothing options.

"What did you need to get?" My companion asked.

"I need to go to the sports store, I need to get some tape, and a jock." I smiled.

"Oh-! Ok then, let's head there first." Tenya's faced flushed red, he could be such a prude sometimes. "I too need to get some support tape."

As we walked into the store, I felt somewhat comfortable, since I was with Tenya. He's grown to be my special person, someone I can rely on for being there for me. As we browsed the items, my attention was drawn to a wrestling singlet, it reminded me of my old wrestling days.

I got the things I needed, Protein powder for muscle recovery and improved strength, joint support tape, a new jock and under armour. Tenya also got the things he needed too. After we checked out I was approached by another teenager.

"Barcode arms!" He shouted, then ran off. Embarrassment crossed my body, I was near crying, but I then felt arms wrapped around me, a warm embrace, a feeling I was missing in my life.

"Don't listen to Amao, you're such a beautiful person, inside and out." He said, smiling. I could tell he was trying not to cry, his eyes were glossy with tears.

We walked for a bit, before stopping by a coffee shop, I looked at their selection of sweet treats, Tenya ordering me a coffee. Just then, Momo and Jiro walked past, they were holding hands, I saw Jiro had found someone awesome to start a relationship with, I gave them a thumbs up and smiled. After getting a bite to eat we began walking to our next shop.

Suddenly, a loud siren could be heard. Next the tannoy sounded. "We are on Lockdown! Take shelter Immediately!"

My heart sank...