Dinner at Paris

A/N: thank you so much for this idea Robin_Writes_12 !!! If you guys have ideas for one shots at all feel free to dm me!

TW: Ben Hope, mention of SA

How did things end up this way? The Paris trip was going so well for Charlie. The freedom and adrenaline he gets when he explores Paris with his friends is fantastic, especially with Nick! Even if they aren't out as a couple yet, the little moments of hand brushes and glances fill Charlie with happiness on the first day of the school trip.

That happiness faded when Ben Hope decided to sit next to him at the dinner table when they all settled into the restaurant. Charlie's entire body tensed; he didn't feel safe with Ben this close to him, their legs touching.
Of course, nobody noticed the tension between Charlie and Ben other than Nick since they didn't know what happened in the music room that day. Imogen did seem annoyed though.

Charlie tried to ignore Ben every way possible by focusing his attention on Tao who was trying Escargot for the first time. He couldn't manage a smile or laugh, though, when Ben bumped their legs together to get his attention.

Charlie tried to glance at Nick, but Ben decided to speak to him...Acting as if nothing terrible happened between them.

"I haven't talked to you properly in ages, how is your first day in Paris?" Ben asked, staring at him. Imogen got up and stormed off, irritated that her boyfriend would rather talk to Charlie than her. This caused everyone to look over in curiosity.

Nick clenched his jaw as he watched Ben talk to Charlie.

The audacity Ben had even to try to talk to Charlie....Ben's a fucking asshole who shouldn't be this close to Charlie whatsoever.

"Uhm." Charlie stammered, disturbed as he shifted in his chair. Anyone in the restaurant could tell that he was uncomfortable. "Come on Charlie." Ben tried to rub his shoulder.

That's when Nick lost it.

Protectiveness washed over him as he stood up so fast that his chair knocked. Whispers and laughs echoed around them. "Everyone settle down!" Mr.Farouk tried, worried about how off Charlie seemed with all the attention on him.

"Get away from Charlie, now," Nick ordered, staring him down. If looks could kill, Ben would drop dead.

"What's going on, you okay?" Tao whispered to Charlie. Charlie didn't answer him. He felt awful, but he was too worried about the confrontation between Nick and Ben.

Ben scuffed at Nick, "God, you're so dramatic. I just asked how his day was." He said in defense.

"I don't want to talk to you." Charlie managed to say through nerves, trying to fight back tears. Ben tried to say something to him in response, but Nick didn't let him; he was fuming with anger. Charlie told Ben to leave him alone multiple times in a clear tone, and he just ignored him. Nick shoved past Ben, knocking into his shoulder hard, and got to Charlie, who looked like a frightened kitten. "Let's go outside and get some fresh air," Nick suggested softly.

Charlie nodded and stood up, squeezing his boyfriend's hand as everyone at the table gave him concern, and some had weirded-out expressions. He could hear Ben ranting to Harry and his mates how they were 'freaks' and that they were being 'so ridiculous.' Charlie had to roll his eyes at that.

Nick was about to ask him if he was okay once they got outside, but they got startled as Mr.Ajayi shut the door behind them. He had a worried look in his eyes.

Charlie stepped closer to Nick, wanting to be as close as possible.

"So...I honestly don't know what just happened there, but I wanted to come out and ensure you were okay." Mr.Ajayi explained, obviously directing it at Charlie, but he wanted to check in on Nick, too, since he had never seen that kid so angry.

Charlie hesitated but nodded slightly, "I-I'm okay." He didn't want to bother Mr.Ajayi with this. Mr.Ajayi had already done so much for him. Nick rubbed his hand comfortingly, "Yes, I'm fine, sir." Nick assured.

Mr.Ajayi nodded, a little unconvinced about Charlie, "Okay. If Ben bothers you again on this trip, let me know, and he'll get in trouble. I'll make sure of it." He walked back into the restaurant to help Mr.Farouk settle everyone down.

Charlie took a deep breath, "I-I'm okay. I just hated that Ben sat next to me...So close." He tried to convince Nick, but he was rigid. He rubbed his face, trying to calm down.

Nick approached Charlie, "Me too. Can I hug you?" He asked quietly, not sure if Charlie wanted to be touched or
not after that.

Charlie smiled softly at the fact that Nick still asked for consent, even for a hug, and walked into his arms, clinging onto him. He hid in his neck, finally feeling safe again.