Late Night Talking

TW: anxiety, David

When the school day came to an end, all Nick felt was anxiety. It crept up behind him like a shadow, knowing the fact that David was at home. He was visiting for the weekend and Nick didn't know how it was going to go. David always made Nick feel like he was walking on eggshells ever since Stephane left when they were kids. He made rude comments whenever he got the chance. What did Nick do to deserve this?

"Welcome home." David hummed as Nick walked through the front door. Nick forced a smile set down his bag and took off his jacket, "Hey." He greeted in defeat.

"Did you have rugby today?" David asked, he seemed intrigued. Nick looked up, hoping that this was going to be an actual nice conversation for once. "No, but I do have practice tomorrow," Nick answered, feeling nervous as he walked to the kitchen to make himself tea.

"I don't know how you got to be the rugby captain, you're so weak," David said with a smirk, causing Nick's hope to vanish. Nick sighed and grabbed his N mug. He tried to ignore the comment but David of course continued.

"Maybe mom paid Coach Singh to do it." David scuffed. Nick drew a sharp breath and rubbed his face, "Can you just shut up?" He asked.

David snickered and sat up so he was facing Nick, "Why do you have to be such a pussy all the time?"

"Why do you have to be such a fucking dick all the time?" Nick snapped, not being able to take the insults anymore. It didn't help that Sarah wasn't home, she was his safety net when David was visiting. "Wow." David chuckled, "Sticking up for yourself for once." He said amused.

Nick drew a sharp breath and grabbed his mug, "I'm going upstairs." He didn't want to argue anymore, he was so tired.

"Mmm. Running away from your problems as usual. Just like how dad ran away from you." David smirked, knowing that insult hit his brother like a slap in the face.

Nick just walked upstairs, not wanting David to see the tears whelming in his eyes. Why did David have to be such a jerk? Why couldn't he have a normal brother? Why did David have to bring up their dad like that?

He needed someone.

He needed Charlie.

Nick sat at his bed and pulled out his phone. He was going to call but realized Charlie could be asleep since it was late so he decided to text first.

Nicky: hey are you up?

There was an instant reply.

Char: yup.

Char: I'm bored out of my mind.

Char: why?

Char: Are you okay?

Char: did you want to call?

Nick smiled at his phone, the fact that Charlie replied right away and knew that something was off warmed his heart. He didn't know what he'd do without Charlie.

Nicky: I'm okay, David's just being a dick. I'd love to call

Nick chuckled as Charlie called him as soon as the text got read. He answered and chewed his lip, "Hi."

"Well Hi," Charlie hummed, "Do you need me to come over and beat David up?" He offered in a joking way, trying to make Nick smile. It worked.

"Yes," Nick whined with a chuckle and laid down. "It's exhausting being here with him when mom isn't home. He uses every opportunity to put me down and I'm tired of it." He ranted.

"Oh babe, You don't deserve that," Charlie said quietly. To hear Charlie say that felt like a weight lifted off of his shoulders, he knew he didn't but he needed assurance from someone else.

"Thanks Char. I just need a hug." Nick stared up at the ceiling, he wanted to be with Charlie but it was almost 11 pm. "Well...I could always sneak over if you need a hug...." Charlie suggested.

Nick sat up excitedly, "Yes! Are you sure though? I don't want to get you in trouble." He rambled.

"Yeah, I'm sure, I need a hug too. I'll be there soon." Charlie hummed and hung up. Nick got up and made sure his room was clean enough before Charlie got there he had a couple of socks scattered around the floor.

Once his room looked decent enough, he headed downstairs and waited by the front door so Charlie wouldn't be greeted by David at the front door. "Who are you waiting for? A girl?" David scuffed as he walked into the room after getting a snack from the kitchen.

Nick drew a sharp breath, he was at his breaking point. "Just fucking shut up, please. For the love of god." He begged and opened the door as there was a soft knock, knowing it was Charlie.

"Hi," Charlie stood there with big soft, worried eyes. He was dressed in his pj's and his hair was messy in a cute way.

"Hi." Nick pulled Charlie in and shut the door behind him, trying to avoid David. "Let's go upstairs." He tried but tensed as David raised an eyebrow at Charlie.

"Who's this?" David hummed in an intimidating way.

"I'm Charlie," Charlie answered, staring at David he got an instant vibe that he was a rude ass dick. "I'm just going to have a sleepover with Nick."

"Ohh." David nodded and sipped his mug which probably had alcohol in it. "Does mom know?" He smirked.

"She would be fine with it, David. Just leave us alone." Nick demanded and led Charlie upstairs. Charlie followed Nick into his room and shut the door behind them. "God, he is a dick."

Nick giggled at that since he barely heard Charlie swear and plopped down onto his bed. He made grabby hands to Charlie, desperately needing a hug.

Charlie smiled softly and climbed into Nick's, hugging his boyfriend close. "I'm glad I live close by."

"Me too." Nick agreed and laid his head on Charlie's chest, finally feeling safe again in his boyfriend's arms. "I just hope you don't get in trouble."

"Eh, I don't care if I get in trouble, babe. It's worth sneaking out to help you." Charlie said quietly and played with Nick's hair to calm him down.

Nick sighed in content, "Okay if you're sure. I love having you here this late." He admitted. Charlie hugged Nick closer and kissed his forehead, "Me too." He agreed.

"God, why is David such a dick to you?" Charlie asked, "Only if you want to talk about it. You don't have to." He rambled.

"I don't know." Nick fiddled with Charlie's hand, "Ever since dad left when we were kids he takes his anger out on me. I guess...I'm just glad it's me
And not my mom." He whispered.

This shattered Charlie's heart. "No Nick, you are the best and shouldn't have to deal with this shit." He hugged Nick closer.

"Yeah." Nick sighed and snuggled even closer to Charlie if possible, "I only have to deal with it when he visits. I'm so glad that he's away at University." He rambled.

Charlie nodded in understanding and leaned back a bit so Nick could adjust on his chest. "Why don't we go to sleep? It's getting late." He offered.

Nick nodded and smiled to himself, he was so glad that Charlie was here or else he would be crying himself to sleep. "Yes, good idea. I'm exhausted."