Art Room

A/N: thought it would be a cute short story to write about how Elle and Charlie became friends!
Btw I got a new story out! Called 'Life as A Nelson' hope you guys like it!
               TW: Mention of bullying

Charlie sat in the back corner of Mr.Ajayi's classroom. The young teenager hid there whenever the bullying began to get worse in the hallways. Ever since he got outted, he classmates taunted and harassed him whenever they got the chance. Charlie needed an escape, and Mr.Ajayi had said his art room was always free for him if he needed it. It became his safe space at school.

One afternoon, Charlie looked up from doodling in his sketchbook to see a girl around his age. She had dark-toned skin and dark curly hair. He wasn't used to seeing girls at Turham since the school had just let girls into the all-boys school. He began to get excited, he could finally have a friend who was a girl!

But don't get Charlie wrong, he loved spending time with Tao and Isaac but their conversations began to get repetitive and boring. They didn't understand when he had a mental crisis. Charlie's praying he could become friends with this girl. They already had one thing in common; the art room.

"Well hello, Elle! I set up the canvas you were working on, on the back table. Don't mind Charlie, he hangs out in here often." Mr.Ajayi greeted his student.

Elle nodded in response and walked to the table. She seemed off, her expression was numb. She had a story to tell and maybe that's why she loved art so much it was a way to express feelings. That's why Charlie liked art, he didn't want to assume though. Charlie sat up and fiddled with his sleeves anxiously. He debated on if he should start a conversation with her, not wanting to be a bother if she needed some quiet to paint.

"Erhm, What are you working on?" Charlie decided on asking and wanted to facepalm. It came out so squeaky and awkward. Why did he always have to embarrass himself?

"Oh! A self-portrait! Which I hate working on." Elle groaned with a soft smile. Charlie's face lit up, she seemed so nice! She also was interested in the conversation which was a good sign.

"I always avoid drawing people." Charlie agreed with a chuckle, knowing what she meant. "I like the spin you added on it though. Instead of doing skin tones, you did pinks." He said shyly.

"Finally someone noticed!" Elle squeaked excitedly. "I went with pink because one it's my favorite color, and two it's not as bold as if I did a green or something. I'd look like Shrek." She joked.

Charlie chuckled, feeling relieved. She didn't seem to be bothered by talking to him. He was known as the gay nerd at the school. She was the only one besides Isaac and Tao who didn't treat him differently.

"D-Do you want to sit with me and my two friends at lunch?" Charlie managed to ask through nerves. "We are nothing special, but we'd love to have new company." He rambled on.

Elle turned to Charlie, excitedly. "please! I don't have many friends," she admitted. That surprised Charlie, she's so sweet.

"Great!" Charlie chirped. "We sit at the picnic tables outside. Isaac will most likely be reading the entire time. Also please feel bad if Tao doesn't welcome you right away, he's very stubborn about who's in our friendship group. I think if I'm bringing you over he'll be fine with it." He rambled.

"Thanks for letting me know." Elle giggled and began to work on her painting she hadn't touched yet.

Charlie smiled and went back to doodling in his sketchbook as well until the bell rang for lunch. He was proud of himself for getting out of his comfort zone and hopefully making a new friend!