Brother Trouble

TW: homophobic comments

"Char will be here with his family in five minutes." Nick rambled out as he helped his mom set up the table.

Sarah smiled at how nervous her son seemed about this dinner, which meant he loved Charlie. Nick's eyes light up whenever the curly-haired boy enters the room.

It was adorable; Sarah loved their relationship. 

"I'll get it!" Nick squealed as the doorbell rang. He rushed over and froze as he opened the door. It was not who he was expecting...

It was David.

"David?" Sarah asked with big eyes. She thought her oldest son wouldn't visit until spring break, months away. 

"That's me," David smirked over at Nick. Nick was frozen like a deer in headlights. He felt like David just ran him over in a car.

"We're here-" Charlie soon showed up behind David. He also froze like Nick did as he realized who was standing before him. "Shit," he said to himself.

"Well, he can join us for dinner now!" Jane said, not reading the tension in the room.

"Yeah, y-yeah, he can." Sarah managed out.

Sarah didn't want to seem like a bad mother even though she wanted to throw David out of the house. David acted like a bully toward Nick, and she didn't allow that behavior.

"If you don't mind!" David chirped and walked into the kitchen, taking off his jacket. He glinted with mischief in his eyes.

"Who's this?" Tori whispered to Charlie. "Nick's brother, he's homophobic. He's a bully to him ever since he came out as bisexual." He explained the best he could in a hushed tone.

Tori nodded. She didn't like the guy as soon as he stepped into the room. He was a red flag, as her best friend Becky called it.

Charlie waited for the perfect opportunity to pull Nick aside. He looked at his boyfriend in worry, "You okay?" He asked, even if he figured Nick wasn't.

Nick grumbled and hid on Charlie's shoulder. Charlie played with Nick's hair to calm him down.

"We can get through this," Charlie assured and kissed Nick softly. Nick kissed back and nodded, "If you say so, I'm trying hard not to punch David in the face."

Charlie pulled Nick back into the room as everyone sat at the table. Sarah had set up their plates and food.

"This looks lovely, Sarah." Julio complimented with a smile. "Thank you! It's a fun meal to make." Sarah sat at the table as she finished setting up.

Nick sat beside Charlie and glanced at David, who was smirking at him. Julio, Jane, and Sarah began to make small talk as everyone ate. Until David cleared his throat, getting everyone's attention.

"How'd you guys meet?" David asked the couple with a smirk. Charlie rubbed Nick's hand under the table to keep him calm.

"We met at form. Our teacher sat us together." Charlie explained.

"Without Mr.Lange, we wouldn't have met." Nick chuckled.

"I wish you guys never did," David said, catching everyone off guard. "What?" Nick asked to make sure he heard his brother correctly.

"If you never met Charlie, you would still be straight. It's his fault you are bi." David teased.

Charlie sent David a death glare. He couldn't believe David could treat Nick like that. He would never insult Tori, no matter what situation they were in. Tori kicked David's leg under the table, hoping it would shut him up.

"It would be better if Nick wasn't bi." David continued.

"DAVID!" Sarah scolded. Nick was about to get up, but this was Charlie's last straw. He got up instead and slammed his hands down on the table.
Tori picked up Oliver and rushed him out of the room so the six-year-old wouldn't be overwhelmed by the shouts.

"How can you be so rude to your damn brother? You are a disgusting human being! You should leave if you continue to be a homophobic asshole!" Charlie shouted at David.

Jane and Julio looked at each other awkwardly. They were Not sure how to contribute in this situation.

"Mom! You are going to let him yell at me!" David asked Sarah with big eyes. Sarah nodded "yes, what he's saying is true. You've always been so rude to your brother." David got up and stormed out of the room. Charlie was shaking from anger, and he wanted to punch David in the face.

"Hey babe," Nick said softly, got up, pulling Charlie close to calm him down.

Charlie sniffled and clung to Nick. "you should be the one getting hugged, not me." He rambled. Jane, Julio, and Sarah walked to the kitchen to give them space.

"I'm proud of you, and you are the only one brave enough to stand up for me. Thank you." Nick rambled. Charlie smiled and kissed Nick. Nick kissed back and wrapped his arms around Charlie's waist.

"David is a dick. He deserved it." Charlie assured with a chuckle. Nick chuckled and kissed his boyfriend's cheek. "Come on, let's go snuggle."