Brother Issues

A/N: this was inspired by a fic I read on Archive of Our Own, 'Vanilla Flavored Greek Yoghurt' by the user Oxydiane. Make sure to go check that out! I'm trying not to make it too similar, I was just inspired after reading it!

TW: David Nelson (Nick's asshole of a brother) Anxiety, mention of eating disorder, violence

Nick's favorite way to start the day is to have his boyfriend snuggled up against him. He didn't care that Charlie took up most of the space in his bed; it gave him more of an excuse to hold him close.

Charlie is staying the weekend!

Charlie finally got his mom to say yes. She is very strict, but once Charlie proved he would have all meals and snacks, she was less worried about it. Nick couldn't be more proud of him. Sarah made sure to assure Jane that he stalked up his cabinets and fridge with Charlie's safe foods, to make sure Charlie is nothing but comfortable staying there. Nick thanked his mom more than 100 times, he couldn't be more grateful for her.

The only thing that was ruining his weekend was David. Of course, his University had to have some shutdown for the weekend to clean the buildings or whatever, but that wouldn't stop Nick from having Charlie over. Nick just prays that his brother won't say anything to Charlie, who didn't deserve anything but love in the Nelson household. He didn't care if David said shit about him, but he doesn't know what he would do to his brother if he does say shit to Charlie.

"Mm," a soft stir came from Charlie that gained Nick's attention.

"Well, Morning sleepy head." Nick teased with a smile and fixed a curl that was in Charlie's eyes.
He loved how Charlie's curls got messy in the morning, he may have an obsession with Charlie's hair.

"Morning," Charlie mumbled and instantly hid in Nick's chest. Nick chuckled and rubbed Charlie's side gently, kissing his forehead.

"Do you want to go downstairs and have breakfast? David usually sleeps in so we won't be bothered." Nick offered.

Charlie made a face at the mention of David causing Nick to giggle.

"Yeah, sure." Charlie agreed and sat up, looking at Nick with a pout.

"What's up?" Nick raised an eyebrow at him.

I don't want to get up, your bed is so comfy," Charlie whined.

Nick playfully rolled his eyes and gently pulled Charlie up out of bed. He ignored the whine that Charlie gave in protest.

"Do you have any of my plain bagels? Can I have that for breakfast?" Charlie wondered as he followed Nick downstairs, clinging onto his hand as they walked. "Yeah! I made sure my mom stalked up the fridge with all of your safe foods." Nick assured.

Charlie blushed and leaned into Nick as they walked into the kitchen.

Charlie's good mood vanished as he saw David, sitting on the counter eating one of his bagels.

It was his last bagel. His whole plan for breakfast was ruined.
All Charlie felt at that moment was panic. Whenever he had breakfast at Nick's a bagel and cream cheese was his go-to; one of his safe foods.

"David, couldn't you have picked anything else to eat?" Nick huffed in frustration, as he felt Charlie's tension. David smirked, shithead knew exactly what he did by eating the last bagel.

"Oh sorry, were you planning on having this?" He asked Charlie in a sarcastic tone. "There are pastries in the cabinet that you could have. Don't be so picky." David rolled his eyes and sipped his juice.

Nick was so tempted to take his glass of apple juice and spill it over his head. "Char, we can make scrambled eggs or a smoothie?" He offered, trying to ease the pressure.

Charlie took a deep breath, trying hard not to let David get to him. But it was hard.

Charlie knew he couldn't be upset because it wasn't Nick's fault that David took the last bagel, so he fought back the tears and looked at Nick, "A-A smoothie sounds good." He managed to say.

Nick nodded and began to focus on making the smoothie, so he wouldn't beat the shit out of David.

"What's wrong?" David asked Charlie, almost in a taunting way. "Why did the mental hospital let you out of there if you can't even have something other than a bagel for breakfast?" He laughed.

Charlie stared at David, not being able to hold in the tears anymore. Before Nick could do anything, he stormed up and grabbed the rest of David's bagel. "Why do you have to be such an asshole all the time?" He seethed and stuck the part of the bagel that had cream cheese onto David's face.

David gasped and stood up, causing the bagel to slide off of David's face onto the floor. David wiped the cream cheese off of his cheek.

"Bitch." David grumbled as he walked off to the bathroom to get the cream cheese off of his face.

Nick stood there frozen in shock, he abandoned the smoothie and rushed over to Charlie. "Shit char are you okay?" He asked and gently wiped off the tear stains that were now on Charlie's cheeks.

Before Charlie could answer Nick pulled him into a tight hug. Charlie sunk into his boyfriend's arms and clung onto him, desperate for comfort. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Do you want to take Nellie on a walk before we have the smoothie?" Nick asked, knowing that it would be too hard for Charlie to eat anything right now after his ass of a brother. Nick made a note to himself to punch David later on for that comment.

"Yes please." Charlie whispered. He wiped his eyes and watched as Nick walked over to the front door and pulled on his shoes before getting Nellie's harness and lease. Charlie wondered over as well and pulled on his shoes, taking a deep shaky breath.

"You know, the fact that you stuck up for yourself like that is pretty awesome." Nick hummed as they began to walk. Charlie fiddled with Nick's hand, "Is it so awesome that I get reward cuddles later?" He wondered, leaning into Nick.

Nick chuckled and hugged Charlie close as they walked side by side. "Yes."