thirty five

Jake stared at the signed paper in front of him with unbelieving eyes.

"Why?" Someone from the council asked.

"Jungwon told us Jay signed it, don't tell us it's a scam?"

Jake shakes his head. He was too overwhelmed yesterday he forgot to check the folder that Jay has handed him. It was only today he opened it and saw Jay's signature at the end of the contract including a yellow sticky notes for the list of his applied conditions.

1. I choose my own band, if it's possible to be acoustic only then it's better.

2. I choose my own substitute.

And as Jake pull the sticky note off the contract, Heeseung's name and signature appeared.

"It is indeed signed," Jake says. "Seems like we don't need to think about this open mic anymore, Jay will take care of it."

He closed the folder and pushed it towards the middle of the meeting table, diverting the topic to something else.

+++++

Winter fest has been a successful event. Of course, any school events that is not about studying lessons are fun for college students, it made them free their mind out of the stressful semester and have fun with all the available activities out there.

However for Jake, it's been a very unproductive event. He didn't even attend a few of the activities unless it needs his appearance. He didn't tried to round the university fields to look at all the available booths. He didn't attend the successful open mic event. He heard positive comments about it, mostly about Heeseung— just like how it was on highschool.

On the last day of the event, Jake sat at the reserved seat near the stage where the open mic is set up. At 7 in the evening, the event will finally close and they needed him to have the closing remarks.

He went there fifteen minutes before 7, finding a random student singing on the stage as Jay plays the guitar for him. He watched and listens, silently judging the shaky voice of the student until he finishes the song.

"Let's give him a round of applause, everyone," Jay speaks through the microphone after. "Not everyone of us can have the courage to confess through a song in front of many students, but I was surprised that most of our guest singers did that in this three day event."

"Unfortunately, he will be the last one who will be able to come up here to have a dedication song for his special someone. For the past two days, we received a lot of song request with a bit of background story from the requestor."

"I apologize that we couldn't finish the stack of papers you sent to us, we couldn't sing your songs and we couldn't read aloud your confessions."

"Last night, we went through the letters and found a request that we believe will fit the last song."

Jake looks away when he saw Heeseung walking up the stage with a piece of paper in hand.

"Heeseung will read you the confession before we sing the song."

"Before that," Heeseung's voice echoed in the field. "Focus on me..."

Jake didn't know why he looked towards his way, meeting his gaze. Heeseung looked away as soon as Jake met his gaze as he smiles on the crowd.

"...everyone," Heeseung added to his sentence.

There's a bit of silence as Heeseung opened the paper and Jay started strumming on his guitar. The melody was too familiar, Jake remembering it was one of Sunghoon's favorite song.