thirty four

Jake woke up early in a sunday morning.

He didn't know how he has managed to sleep peacefully last night but he actually did with earphones plugged in to the highest volume.

He washed up at six in the morning and gets ready to go out. No particular plan for the whole day but Jake wanted to roam around the city alone, actually considering to be fully independent and spend time discovering new places around the city.

It was just a random, sudden feeling of being tired from all the places he was familiar with. All of a sudden, he wanted a change. He wanted to change the usual coffee shop he would go to, change the convenience store he would always go to. He wanted to stop going to usual, familiar places and—

Jake stops walking down in the middle of the stairs when he noticed something— or someone sleeping in the lobby's sofa. He was covered in thin blanket and was hugging himself, his guitar is placed on the floor leaning to the small coffee table with the notebook he used to write random lyrics from before.

Why is he sleeping here instead of his room?

Jake looks away when he noticed Heeseung moving, pulling up the blanket to cover half of his face as he continued sleeping. Jake heaved a sigh before he continued walking down the stairs, leaving the boarding house in silence.

He has just stepped out of the gate when he noticed a person sitting by the side of the road holding a familiar cellphone. He looked like he had just finished talking to someone and a hint of smile still visible in his lips until they met gaze.

Jake looks away first. So, Sunoo was here too?

"Jake-hyung."

Jake faked a smile, unsure of how to respond.

"Where are you off to?" Sunoo asked, acting as if nothing is awkward.

"I..." Think, Jake. "I have an important meeting..."

"In a cold sunday morning?" Sunoo nodded. "Can I come? I want to see Jungwon before I go."

Jake stared at the younger boy.

"I promise to behave," Sunoo said, almost pleading.

"Well...I—" Jake speaks. "Actually—"

"I know," Sunoo cuts him off. "I know you just lied to me about the meeting but it's okay."

Jake looks away.

"Sorry about last night," Sunoo then speaks. "I was with Heeseung-hyung last night, just to let you know."

Sunoo didn't speak any further as he excused himself and entered the boarding house, locking the gate before Jake. The older boy was left alone outside, unsure of how to take Sunoo's words in.

So, what? What if Sunoo and Heeseung are together last night? How does it makes a difference? The fact that Heeseung didn't show up because he was with either Sana or Sunoo, is an enough reason to think he never really prioritized Jake.

It hurts to think about it that way, that he was a second option. He was not stupid to accept that set up. He should know his worth. Although he knew it would take a while to heal once again, he will do it earlier. He knew he has to step back earlier than he did before when Sunghoon breaks up with him.

He didn't want to go through the same process of years of waiting and hoping that he will be prioritized, that everything will turn out to how he wants it to be. Jake didn't want to make himself believe he's the main character of this story.

He didn't need anymore disappointments. Once is enough, twice is stupidity.

+++++