twenty-five

Jake pulled out the earpods after hearing a few knocks on his door. He kept sitting and waited for that someone to knock again but it remained silent. It took him a few minutes to decide whether to open the door or not.

In the end, Jake still stood up from his seat and opened the door— only to see an empty hallway. But he did heard someone knock...or his brain was only playing tricks on him? It's actually past midnight already but he's still awake trying to complete the school requirements all at once so he could focus for the planning of the upcoming department activities next month.

He was about to close the door when the door next to him opened, Heeseung walking out with a paper bag in hand.

"Heeseung-hyung?"

"I thought you're already asleep," Heeseung said, walking towards him. "Can I come in?"

Although confuse, Jake stepped aside to let the older enter his room.

"Why are you here?" Jake asked after closing the door.

"You just let me in," Heeseung answered, nonchalant. He pulled out the chair in front of Jake's study table and sat there, placing the paper bag beside Jake's open notes.

"I mean," Jake speaks, trying to think of the other words he could use to relay his question understandable. He sat on his bed, facing Heeseung. "Was that a Japanese take out from Sunoo again?" Jake asked, pertaining to the paper bag.

"Nope," Heeseung was quick to respond. "From my Mom."

Jake knitted his brows, becoming more and more confuse, as if there's an information that he didn't know about- which makes everything about Heeseung confusing.

"What's that?" Heeseung then asked, pointing to the stacks of paper bags and boxes on Jake's bed.

Jake eyes it too.

It was the gifts he received from some of his blockmates and Jay to celebrate his birthday in advance. It would be on Sunday and Jake will go home, while Monday is a busy day so they decided to celebrate it earlier.

"Birthday gifts," Jake said. "They're all useless stuffs and I'm taking them home."

There's a hint of annoyance and disappointment in his voice.

"Birthday gifts? When's your birthday?" Heeseung asked.

"On sunday," Jake answered.

"Basically, tomorrow."

"Yeah," Jake nodded.

Heeseung turns the chair around and picked up the paper bag again before facing Jake.

"You have bowls here right," Heeseung speaks. "We can share this and eat together."

Jake rolled his eyes before he stood up to get them bowls and spoons.

"Mom packed a lot," Heeseung says as he transfer Jake's notes from the table to the bed.

"You only came here to borrow plates, did you?" Jake asked, a little bit bitter for that fact.

"I'm sharing it with you," Heeseung clarified. "But partly yes."

Jake placed the plates and bowls on the table before he helped Heeseung adjust the table. He sat on the edge of his bed and watch Heeseung prepares the food.

The older male pulled out a tupperware full of homemade gimbap and kimchi. He then takes out a familiar kitchenware he could only see in dramas. He knew what's inside and it made him feel a little more bitter— perhaps jealous that Heeseung has someone who is willing to cook him the special dish while Jake never had it again after his father has died.