nine

Jake opened the door to the meeting room and found the council completely sitting there in order. He found his way to an empty chair and sat there.

"Why are you all here and not helping the other students cleaning the hallway?" Jake asked.

"We have a different punishment."

"I hope your assignment was to clean the bathrooms," Jake said.

"Worst," the secretary said as she handed Jake a folder.

"We were ban to file a candidacy for the next two years," Jay speaks.

Jake laughs as he gave the president a look, "Too bad, you were an effective leader but you're not a good example."

"Thanks," Jay shrugged. "At least we got what we wanted."

Jake's eyes widen as he quickly opened the white folder and read the department order inside.

"We can now participate in the Battle of the Bands, but there were limits," Jay said. "We can only build one band with members from first and second year students only."

"We can do that," Jake said, looking up to meet Jay's gaze.

"We can't," Jay speaks. "No one likes to try to be the vocalist, those are good at it is in the higher years."

"Then do it yourself," Jake said. "You were once a part of our school band in highschool too."

"He's a guitarist, not a vocalist," someone from the council spoke. "We're banned from joining the group as well."

"And we come to realize that among us, you were not in the list of students receiving punishments."

"So?" Jake asked, already expecting what to hear next. "I can't do it."

Jake shakes his head as he avoids everyone's pleading eyes.

Although he went to practice his singing last vacation before he enrolled Music in college, Jake was not confident enough to sing in front of an audience. He was used to public speaking but it will be a no for him to sing publicly.

"You are our only chance," Jay speaks. "We're only given until tomorrow afternoon to build the group, and we will only have barely five days to choose a song and practice!"

"I can't," Jake insisted.

"Should we just accept defeat then?" The secretary asked.

"Can't we find another person? There's a lot of first year and second year students," Jake said, voice slightly shaking.

"Well, there's one student but I heard he went home yesterday," Jay then speaks. "And it'll be hard to persuade him, for sure."

"Who?"

"I will try to talk to him," Jake said.

"Lee Heeseung."

+++

Jake walked back and fort in front of Heeseung's closed door. He has been circling in the same spot for almost half an hour already but he still couldn't get the confidence to knock.

He was thinking of a genius way to persuade the older boy, although already knowing how hard it will be.

He was about to turn back when he realized someone is standing a few steps away from him. He stopped and looked up, eyes going wide as soon as he realized Heeseung was leaning on the wall next to his door.

"Y-you were not inside?" Jake asked.

Heeseung looked back at the stairs before eyeing Jake suspisciously again, "I just arrive."