Whatever It Takes

We shielded our eyes from the bright light of the spotlight coming from the helicopter.

"Attention! Return to the dock and cut the engine immediately!" The woman on the megaphone yelled again.

"Yes, yes, yes! We are saved!" Kenji cheered.

"Are we?" Darius questioned. "Wait, Kenji!" Darius yelled. We all climbed up the ladder before running into the cockpit where Kenji tried to drive us to the dock but Darius stopped him by lowering the throttle. "I'm not exactly getting good guy vibes, Kenj."

"Yeah, unmarked chopper, big, scary guns....." Yaz trailed off.

"Oh, I'm sorry, what would you bring to rescue kids from an island full of killer dinosaurs? Cake?" Kenji asked sarcastically.

"He's got a point." Ben said. We then looked out the window as thunder rumbled and lightning flashed.

"The sea is pretty rough." Sammy said.

"All right, then. We take our chances with the people in the helicopter?" Darius asked. We all glanced between each other before nodding. Darius let go of the throttle and allowed Kenji to drive us to the dock. When Kenji docked the boat, Brooklyn tied the boat to the dock so it wouldn't drift away. We watched the chopper land in a clear space before walking over to them. A man got out with a serous expression and carrying a gun. We looked between each other before walking over to the man to board the chopper.

"What are you kids doing out here?" The man asked as he helped Ben and Sammy on board.

"Long story! Too long." Sammy answered.

"Way too long!" Kenji agreed as he boarded after Sammy.

"Wait, if you're not here to rescue us, then why are you here?" I heard Ben ask. We then heard heavy footsteps and turned to see Rexy stomp her way through the trees. We had to cover our ears as she roared at us. The lady in the chopper pulled the control lever to make the chopper fly up but before she could get away, Rexy grabbed onto the landing skids. The lady managed to get out of Rexy's grip and tried to pick up the man that helped Ben, Sammy, and Kenji abroad but he got eaten by Rexy. The chopper then flew away with us yelling at it.

"Run!" Brooklyn yelled. Rexy turned and roared at us before chasing us through the jungle. We ran around trees, fallen logs, and plants before quickly hiding before Rexy could find us. She stomped threateningly towards us as we stayed hidden. Darius hid behind a tree while I had hid in a log. Brooklyn had hid in a hole under a boulder, and Yaz had hid under a log that was propped up on two rocks. Rexy went to continue on her way but stopped and started sniffing where Yaz was hiding. I peeked through a hole in the log as Rexy picked up the tree Yaz was hiding under before dropping it a few feet away and glaring at Yaz. Yaz then took off with Rexy after her. Darius, Brooklyn, and I came out of our hiding spots before running in the direction of Rexy's roar. When we arrived, Rexy was about to eat Yaz but Darius picked up a rock and threw it at Rexy, getting her attention.

"This was a horrible idea." Darius mumbled.

"You're right." I agreed.

"Horrible!" Brooklyn yelled as Rexy roared at us. We quickly turned and ran as Rexy chased us. We ran before finding a tree with a hole we could hide in. Only problem was, Rexy tried to fit in to grab us. But thankfully she couldn't get through the thick vines and the tight space.

"Rexy! It's me, girl! Evelyn!" I yelled at her. She growled before she looked like she had a realization. She quit growing before lowering her head. I shakily stood from where I had fallen and slowly walked forward.

"E! What are you doing?" Brooklyn whispered harshly.

"Trust me." I whispered back while still staring at Rexy. Rexy let out a soft gurgle with an apologetic look in her eyes. "It's okay, girl. You couldn't see who we were because of the rain. You were just trying to protect us from the chopper." I cooed as I raised my hand. Rexy gurgled again before softly placing her head in my hand. I smiled as I started stroking her head. Our moment was ruined when I voice echoed on a megaphone from what I believed was Main Street.