Chapter 38

Kaelah

"Kae Mae! Come 'ere" I heard my dad yell. I was currently on facetime with my phone propped up while Jamir ran drills in his backyard court. He told me he just wanted to feel like someone was there hyping him, but he aint want me to talk. Truthfully, I did the same thing when I would be practicing dances.

"I'll be back Mir" I said. He kinda nodded, but continued what he was doing. He had his airpods in to hear me.

I walked downstairs to where my dad was to see my mom and him in the kitchen.

"What are you doing here?" I said a little skeptical. I literally haven't seen my mom since my brother's funeral. She doesn't really text or call like that.

"Nice way to greet your mother"

"No like what are you doing here?" I asked again just in case she didn't process what I had just said. Like I swear.. I haven't seen her for months and all of a sudden she's standing in my kitchen.

"Kaelah. I miss you. Georgia isn't the same without you there with me. I decided to ask for a transfer back here. I took the pay cut and all because I wanna be closer with my daughter" I nodded slowly not really falling too much for it. Like she has been slick absent in my life, popping in when she wants, for years. It's also the side comment about taking a pay cut for me.

"I miss your brother as well" I looked away trying not to think about it. "I missed so much of his life and so much of yours. You will be graduating high school before I know it and will be leaving. I just wanted to be back here to get some relationship with you before all of that happens. Life is too short to not be around the people you love. I love you Kae. You are my only daughter and I am forever grateful that I birthed you. I made a mistake not being as involved as I should have been in the past"

"You think" I mumbled. "Ma you were never there. EVER. You wanna slide in and slide out of my life whenever it is convenient for you. You wanna act like you are making sacrifices for a relationship.. Seriously"

"Alright Kae. Chill. She still ya ma" my dad said making me even more upset. He is usually the first one to have my back when defending me against my mom.

"No dad. Lemme talk. I love you ma because you know you gave birth to me, but you were never a true mother since I could literally truly remember. My god mother was way more of a mother than you was. She was there to pick me up when I was down. She was there to hug me and wipe my tears. She taught me about the things to do when I start my period. She always made me feel loved. She is the first person I call when something good or bad happens. She is there to call me 'peanut' and be my person. Ma that's something I never got from you which I'm pretty sure I should have had. I didn't need it of course, but it would have been nice"

"Kae I ju-"

"Save it" I said walking away. I went back upstairs to my room softly closing the door behind myself. I locked my door, grabbed my phone and laid down on my bed.

"I'm back Jamir" I said in a sigh

"Aight Juicy. You straight?" he asked walking over to pick up his phone.

"Yeah. My moms just came on some bs about wanting to be in my life again"

"Oh. You wanna call me later?"

"Nah. I'm finna watch Netflix so continue"

"I'm finna shoot a lil and imma go inside so we can talk if you want" I nodded.

"I don't wanna talk, but I would like to just listen to your voice" he smiled in the camera, blushing slightly, before looking away. He hate when I say small comments that make him feel some type of "giddy" inside.