XXXVIII

The anomaly returned to the waiting room, and found a single guard standing in front of the door.

She let herself fall in a chair and stared at the ceiling.

-This can't be happening..
-This has to be some kind of joke.

Part of her hoped Quentin would come out of his room and tell her it had all been a joke. And maybe give her a hug or two.

But minutes passed and as much as she didn't want to, she began to realize it was true.

Her best friend had just forgotten her.

He was as terrified as the first day he met her, but he still talked to her and even tried to comfort her.

He might have lost some of his memories, but he still was the same person he had always been.

So things would eventually go back to normal...

Right?

A little calmer she sighed and looked up.
She couldn't find 682 and that scared her a little, where did that lizard go?

Timidly she approached the only guard and asked him about what had happened.

-SCP-682 decided... to pay a visit to the chief investigator. -He said quietly, as if he had said something forbidden.

-I have orders to keep you in this room until I receive new orders, so don't try anything funny.

-All right... -She replied and sat back down in defeat.

She had a tornado of mixed emotions in her head that she didn't know what to do with.

She couldn't distract herself with a bath this time.
She thought about how to become less... frightening so as not to scare Quentin.

First of all, he would have to somehow hide her face.

(But that would be impossible..) -She thought as she felt the rough bone with her hands.

Maybe she should wear some more clothes, the only one she ever used was the pajamas Quentin had given her to sleep in.

She remembered when he made her get dressed to get into the foundation truck.

She might as well shorten the claws a bit.
Some little perfume wouldn't hurt.

That way she could hide her anomalous appearance even just a bit.

________________________________________

It had been... Twenty minutes already?
It scared her to think what things she would do to look "normal".

When 682 finally returned it did so without his humanoid form, walking slowly and accompanied by a small group of guards who were unsure whether to stay or run away.

As they escorted the anomalies back to their containment chamber SCP-1471 asked for ample amounts of women's size ⬛ clothing, which was quickly granted.

Mal0 glanced nervously at 682 but it didn't want to look at her, its eyes fixed looking straight ahead.

What had the anomaly done while she was in the waiting room?

That she had spoken to the chief investigator?
She also wanted to ask him how Quentin had reacted to it but she couldn't do that now, there were guards near them.

___________________________________________

As soon as they reached the containment chamber, Mal0 ran to look at herself in the bathroom mirror, she still wanted to look less scary for Quentin.

-What are you doing? -The lizard asked.

-I'm...
-Getting ready. -She said after thinking about it for a few seconds.

-What for? -It asked, slightly curious.

-Quentin, he...
-He's afraid of me. -She replied, lowering his ears.
-I have to become less... -She said pointing to herself with both hands.

-Anomalous.
-Terrifying. -They answered in unison.

-When I talked to him it was as if he had never seen me before.
-Did he say something to you? -She asked, cocking his head like a dog.

At that moment the bedroom doorbell rang, interrupting any response from the lizard.

1471 ran to answer the door leaving 682 behind.

-(I see.)
-(He's useless now.)

________________________________________

Mal0 staggered into the living room with a whole load of clothes.

She tossed all the bags onto the couch and started looking around.

Apparently the person who had accepted his request had good taste.

There was a little bit of everything: several wool sweaters, some jeans of different colors, t-shirts and some sweaters.

She had a hard time trying on some clothes, her skull didn't fit through her neck and she had to open some holes in her pants so that her tail would fit through.

What surprised her the most was the garment that seemed to be pure red threads.
It seemed very thin and thin, it wouldn't help to resist the cold.

She didn't see much use for the other one that had a white triangular shape.

_________________________________________

Tidying up her clothes she laid face down on Quentin's bed and let out a long sigh.

She hoped that Quentin would accept her again.

Otherwise she..

-...

She didn't want to think about it.

She only hoped for the best.

_____________________________________________