XXI

The effect of SCP-999 continued even hours after contact.
To the point that I even dreamt while sleeping drugged, in the foundation's car.
I don't remember much of the dream in question, but the only thing I remember was my mom's smiling face.

As soon as I arrived at "SCP-682 New containment chamber" Mal0 was waiting at the door, wagging her tail in anticipation.

I had to force myself to walk the steps to the front door, where 1471 welcomed me with a big fluffy hug.
While 682 just looked at me and nodded.

Mal0 was asking me lots of questions while I did my best to stay awake.

-Are you all right? -That was the first thing she asked.

-Yes...

-What did they do to you?! -She exclaimed, with worry in her voice.

-I played....
-With an orange ball...

-Eh...? -It was the last thing I heard before my eyelids became too heavy for me to open.

_______________________________________________

I woke up in the living room sofa, with the smell of meat cooking.
Still a bit dizzy, I stopped by the bathroom before going to the kitchen.

The same kitchen in which 1471 was having an argument with 682.

-I know how to do this!

-No.

Let me go! -She exclaimed, trying to free herself from the tendril around her wrist.
-Let me...

-What's going on here?! -I shouted, making both anomalies jump a little.

-You woke up. -682 remarked.

-I'm trying to make omelettes... But your lizard doesn't want me to touch anything!

I took a long breath and took a bit of time to actually reply.

-First of all, it's not "my lizard".
-Second, I'm pretty sure you don't have all the necessary ingredients to make omelettes.

-You're wrong. -682 interrupted.
-A foundation lackey will come here and replenish your food supply every week. -It explained.

(Lackey...?)

Opening the fridge I could see what 682 meant.
It was filled with things like milk, meat, soda, etc.
They seemed quite generous with the things they gave us.
But still, the price of all this didn't compare to the price of keeping 682 down there.

____________________________________________

I ended up cooking, but I asked the two anomalies to pay close attention so that this would not happen again.
682 seemed to be very interested in human habits, even though its cold behavior did not want it.
It was making many questions about human behaviour, until they went from simple questions to a full blown interrogation.

Their curiosity seemed endless.

-Humans eat other animals.
-To what end?

-Eh...
-To have a balanced diet. -I answered, while watching Mal0 lick her plate clean.

-To improve their quality of life in exchange for the life of others?
-Is that what it is? -It asked.

(Now that you put it like that...)
(It makes us look like the bad guys.)
(I guess in a sense we really are...)

-It's the food chain. -I answered after a few seconds.

-Heh.
-Human's thirst for blood is unsatiable..

-How hypocritical of you.

-The highly dangerous, killer lizard..
-Worrying about animal lives and not about the lives of personnel YOU took?

-...

The anomaly hesitated between answering or eating me whole with a single bite.
A part of me wished I would have worded my thoughts better, while the other one just wanted to lie down and sleep.

There was a long silence, in which i could only hear Mal0 devouring its prey.

-Are you going to eat that? -She asked, while grabbing my plate with her hands.

-I am going to eat it! -I retorted, taking it out of her hands.

682 seemed to deep in thought about what i had said, it seemed to have affected it quite a lot.

Mal0 offered to do the dishes, which was one less burden on me.
I was still exhausted, probably because of that drug they liked to use on me so much.

I laid down on the couch and took out the phone that the foundation had given me and turned it on.

It was working fine and since I had all the data from my old cell phone I started listening to some music.

It reminded me of my childhood, where I was happy, without a care in the world.

______________________________________________

I woke up on a floating stone platform, the same one as before.
The number of doors on it remained the same, but there was something that caught my attention.

The door from where I had talked to 682 for the first time was shaking aggressively, as if there was something on the other side wanting to open it.

I had no idea what to do, but part of me wanted to open it, just to sate my curiosity.
Gathering some courage, I grabbed the worn doorknob and pushed.
The door just opened, but there was nothing behind the doorframe.

(I don't know what I was expecting, but it sure wasn't that.)

As I walked through the gallery of doors one in particular caught my attention.
It was a shiny metal door, with black details.
What had caught my attention really was the whispers coming from it.

-T- -ure...
...-m the cu-...

They sounded really distorted but I could still hear a part of it.
Did it sound like someone asking for some kind of cure...?

(Should I tell the foundation about this?)

______________________________________________