XXVII

I wasn't able to convince Mal0 to tell me what i had said when i was asleep.

But I still couldn't have said anything embarrassing... Could I?

____________________________________________

I returned to my room after taking a well-deserved bath.
I couldn't remember the last time a shower felt so good.

As soon as I finished changing my clothes, I heard the door to my room open.

Mal0 saw me holding a wet towel and immediately looked away.

-I'm sorry! -She shouted, slamming the door shut.

-You can come in. I said, while drying my hair with the towel.
Little by little the door opened with a squeak, as if it were a horror movie.

I remember when she didn't want to leave the room when we had just met.
I was a little afraid of how much she had changed in such a short time.

The anomaly came in with her tail between her legs and playing nervously with her claws.

-You know, I wanted to ask you something.
-You don't have to answer me. -She added in a whisper.

I was getting nervous too, I didn't know what crazy question she was going to ask me.

-How does it feel to have a mother?

-Oh...
-...
-It feels...

-Does it feel good...?

-I...
-Guess...?
-She's a member of your family that takes good care of you and just wants the best for you..

Mal0 was still restless, apparently that wasn't the only bomb she was planning to drop on me tonight.

-What is a family?

-Ah-
-Well...
-A family is...

There were a few seconds of silence in which i could almost hear my brain functioning at twice its normal capacity trying to formulate a response.

-A family is...
-People who are important in your life.
-People who you would give your life for without a second thought.

-Like you and your mom? -she asked.

-You don't have to be related by blood to belong to a family.
-I would say that...
-A family is people who, no matter what, will continue to be there for you, supporting you.

-...

-So...
-Could you say we're a family?

I knew she was going to ask this question, and...

I thought about it for a few seconds.
This anomaly had turned my whole life upside down.
Without her, my monotonous lifestyle would have kept running its course.

Without realizing it, I passed my hand over her head, gently caressing her as I thought about all that had happened so far.
Kidnappings, wounds, soldiers, almost dying..

-...

-Of course, Mal0.
-Although... I don't think my mom would agree.

The anomaly didn't say anything, she just laid
there, her gaze lost in some corner of the room.

I felt her breathing quicken and the static in her voice becoming more and more distorted.

-Thank you. -She said, avoiding looking at me.

-...

Seconds later she got up from the bed and hugged me really tightly, breaking into tears.

-Why?!
-Why do you insist on liking an anomaly like me?!
-I have separated you from your only family and you still insist on accepting me!

(Ouch..)

As much as I looked for something to contradict her, she was right.
It hurt a lot to be separated from my mother, but I couldn't leave her alone either.

-Would you have preferred to be left alone? -I asked coldly.
-In that cold void, unable to talk to anyone?!

-If I had known the pain it would cause you.
-I would have preferred that. -She said, wiping her tears.

-You can't change the past, Mal0.
-You have to live in the present.

_____________________________________________

After discussing various topics about family ties and human problems Mal0 fell asleep on my bed.
Being very careful not to wake her up, I got up, covered her with a blanket and slowly left the room.

I didn't really know what to think right now.
I walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water, but found 682 examining a beer can.

-Where did you get that? -I asked, pointing to the can.

-What effect does this drink have on human bodies?

Ignoring the oversized lizard, I opened the door of the refrigerator and poured myself a glass of fresh water.

-I heard that 1471 asked you a lot of questions. -It said, leaving the beer can in its place.

-So it was you that got those ideas in her hea--

From its throat came a sound like laughter, which sent a chill down my spine.

-It wasn't me.
-She has been worrying too much about you lately.

_____________________________________________

As always, i'd appreciate if you could point out typos and stuff, still learning english.
Thank you for reading!!