28

Devon and I walk towards the entrance holding hands

Devon and I walk towards the entrance holding hands. The door is wide open as a couple had also arrived just minutes before us so they are being greeted. As we step into the door Devon's face breaks into a smile and he greets a woman in her late forties "Good Evening Claire".

She grabs him by the shoulder pulling his hands out of mine and kisses both his cheeks "Hello darling, I'm sorry I missed the wedding".

"It's fine and I hope your mum is feeling better now?" He asks rubbing his hands over her slender shoulder and she nods. Then he steps back placing his hand on my lower back pushing me forward "Claire this is my wife Evelina".

"Oh right, Hello dear" she pulls me for a hug and kisses both my cheeks as well. "You look even prettier than in magazines" I blush and thank her for the compliment then I tilt my head up to Devon waiting for him to introduce her to me.

He looks at me confused then realizes "Oh right, darling this is Claire she is Jameson Heartstrong's wife".

Holy fuck.

I feel a lump in my throat. I should've have agreed to this. This woman just greeted me lovingly and complimented me while I slept with her husband. I'm a horrible person.

"It's lovely meeting you Mrs.Hearstrong" I can barely utter those words I'm sure that my voice is shaking a bit.

"Oh please call me Claire now come on in, everyone has already made it just take off your coats" she walks into a room disappearing from our sight.

I start to pull my coat of my shoulder and Devon helps me and hangs it along with the other coats. He walks in front of me leading us to the room Claire disappeared into and before entering the room. I grab Devon's suit with my left hand. He looks back at me his eyes wandering my face "Are you okay?" He asks.

"Yeah yeah" I nod and try to fake a smile "I'm just nervous".

"They'll love you don't worry about anything else" he tries to assure me and I nod then we head into the crowded room. Devon introduces me to the board members who I can't even remember their names now and at last he introduces me to Jameson Heartstrong. I've been dreading this moment thinking about the what if's. I've avoided meeting him at the wedding but I can't run away forever.

What if he remembers me?

Devon grabs his attention and says something to him and I'm too nervous to even comprehend the conversation they just had. Suddenly, I'm startled by a hand in my view and I realized that it's Jameson's as he wants to shake my hand.

I hesitatingly take his hand and shake it and he says "Lovely meeting you dear".

I want to say likewise, but my voice has somehow disappeared. The way he had just called me dear triggered my memory it's not what he called me that night. He lets go of my hand and proceeds to talk to Devon and my brain just zones out into that memory.