Rock the Casbah

~Fundamentally he can't take it.~

~You know he really hates it.~

When Jade woke up the next morning with a familiar ache in her bones, she reached for a cigarette and her lighter. Jade would spend the rest of the morning on her dirty sheets, smoking the whole carton while watching the ceiling fan spin the smoke in circles. The silence screamed in her ears to move, to play something, to do anything.

But all Jade could do was listen to the slight hum of the old fan. 

Alone.

......

Rent was due tomorrow.

Jade was not in her body as her feet made the walk towards the familiar door. She allowed herself to be pushed around by the mass of people dancing and screaming, but she couldn't feel them touch her. Her eyes said nothing, her lips made no movements, and her ears heard the hum of an old fan. 

Rent was due tomorrow.

"Mi conejito... Me encanta tu pelo...que puedas agarrarlo más fácil."

Rent was due tomorrow.

"Me encanta cuando usted está tan callada."

Rent was due tomorrow.

"Hasta el mes que viene, mi conejito."

Rent was paid.

.......

Instead of sleep, Jade spent her night in the bathroom with her familiar tools of bleach, hair dye, and clippers. It was time to redo her mohawk and pray that the feeling of fingers gripping at her scalp would fade with the burning of the bleach. But as she stared at the mint green hair standing in familiar spikes, Jade felt like something had been stolen from her.

Jade had nothing that was of value to her. Guitars can be replaced, weed can be grown, and clothes can be bought new. But somehow, Hawk had managed to steal something from her.

She had no dignity, no reputation. Her virginity was long gone before last night. Her innocence been robbed years ago. Jade gripped the electric razor tightly as she grit her teeth like she was getting her first tattoo again.

He stole her freedom. 

Hawk invaded her in every sense of the word. The way he snarled into her ears angry thoughts, his hands on her hips, and absolute rage in the ocean depths of his eyes stole the only thing she truly owned. Her attention. Jade no longer had control of her emotions, her thoughts, because everywhere she went she saw him. 

The guy had literally fucked her and left without a single word. And now whenever she thought about the mohawk-wearing piece of fuck shit all she could think about was the pain that was in her heart. 

Jade starred at the familiar mint green mohawk that was newly set on her head. Every spike was perfectly imperfect, just as she liked it and the color was uneven. She liked it messy.

She liked life being messy.

Her apartment was messy, her relationships were messy, her sex life was messy, her morals were messy...

But as Jade stared trembling into the mirror at the mess on her head all she could see were perfect red spikes on top of her, grabbing her hips, bruising her lips...