Chapter 39 - Without Her/Him

Akashi Seijuro sat in the middle of Aria's lifeless living room with a shougi board in front of him. The place was empty, just like his heart.

As days go by without Aria returning, his life became dull and gloomy just like before. He would go out and play basketball and return home, play shogi by himself. Just like before.

Tired of doing the same routine over and over, he decided to call one of his comrades who he deems as the closest to him despite their rivalry on the court. Midorima Shintarou.

A soft knock snapped him out from his thoughts as he softly tells the person from the other side to come in.

"Why the sudden call, Akashi?" He hears Midorima, the terrifying shooter of the GoM, demand with his low, flat voice as he strides in fromt of Akashi.

"Sit." Akashi calmly uttered though his mismatched eyes faced the board. Midorima obliged though his green eyes watched his former captain, analyzing each move. "Play with me." He states, rearranging the wooden pieces.

Midorima adjusted his glass with his finger once he realized what was wrong. He placed the knitted scarf beside him which was his lucky item of the day. "What's the purpose of this meeting, Akashi?" He straightforwardly asks.

Akashi silently gestured to begin. Midorima once again obliged, patiently waiting for Akashi to voice his intention.

As he waits for Akashi to make his move, his eyes wandered around the place. It then clicked to him that Akashi's girlfriend, Aria, wasn't around.

"Tell me, Shintarou..." Akashi broke the silence as he placed a piece on a block.

There was something in Akashi's eyes that sparked an interest in Midorima. No, it was more like curiousity. He was used to seeing Akashi's eyes always cold and rigid. However, this Akashi looked more vulnerabe and forlorn.

"What seems to be the problem?" He couldn't keep his mouth shut. It wasn't because he was concerned. He'll never admit that to anyone even in death.

As Midorima fixated his gaze on Akashi's heterochromous orbs, he was then aware as to why Akashi suddenly called him.

As if he now knew that Midorim had figured it out, Akashi met the green orbs that has been watching him since he came. "What do you think of Aria?"

The first thing that came to Midorima's mind was, Does it even matter? but he kept a straight face and composed himself.

Midorima then asked himself what did he thought of Aria. She was good-looking though he'll neversay that to Akashi's face. He knew how sensitive Akashi was when it comes to Aria. But if he could be honest, he has an answer to what he thinks about Aria.

"She's different."

Akashi smirked. As expected of Midorima, the guy who can be a challenge to his intelligence. The one who can fully understand things. "You're right. She is different."

"Different..." Midorima trails off, forgetting their game in front. "She seems to be knowledgeable of some things... things that not most people know."

Akashi nods, confirming his suspiscions. "She does, doesn't she?" This got Midorima to agree silently.

"Where is she?" Midorima can't help but ask. He noticed how Akashi froze for moment and continued picking another piece as if nothing happened.

"She's fixing something." He simply answered. This left Midorima with a ton of questions in his head.

Akashi sensed that Midorima was just waiting for him to continue his answer.