Chapter 15 Recovery

Once Felix leaves, thinking that everything was okay with us, I took the time to make sure that everything was actually going to be okay with us. I got dressed, placed on makeup once again (in hopes that he wouldn't try and get me into water again), and then inspected my image for the millionth time.

I was wearing one of my new dresses – one of my favourites – in order to make sure that there's a bigger restraint for me NOT to destroy another piece of clothing. It was bright red with delicate roses on it and it would be a shame if I decided to be stupid again. Just as I was pondering the thought of cancelling the date and spending the evening with my parents, the doorbell rang.

I rushed downstairs, feeling my cheeks heat as I opened up the door. Damn, I was supposed to still be angry at this guy. Yet, I could feel the corners of my mouth turn upwards as Felix leaned in to kiss me on my cheek.

Yeah, why to be a complete idiot Lily.

"Hey" I smiled at him lightly, giving him a quick hug instead of a kiss. Yet, he doesn't notice anything (probably because I was 'hiding' my anger so well), and took hold of my hand.

"I was thinking that maybe tonight we could just go get dinner or something. Like – have a proper date?"

I only nodded, trying to not be over eager. I've only been on one other 'proper' date in my life. And that was having lunch with a guy who couldn't even be bothered to remember my name. He called me Lyla the whole time.

Felix led me to his car, opening the door for me and even closing it before rushing to the other side. We drove to one of the town's restaurants, Felix holding light conversations with me. Once we got there, we were led to a table and everything seemed okay-ish. Felix talked most of the time, me just nodding and deciding on what to eat.

"Squirrel?"

I only nodded, glancing over at the different types of food.

"Squirrel" his fingers came over the menu and it was pulled down. He starred at me intensely and I could feel my cheeks heating up again.

"Yeah?"

"You're still mad at me" he said, stating it instead of asking.

I wanted to shake my head but with the intense way my mate was staring at me, all I could do was tell the truth.

"Yeah"

He sighed, his eyes leaving mine for a brief second before they came back. His gaze held mine, his eyes seeking out anything – everything – that can make me forgive him.

"You don't know how bad I felt about it Lily. I – I – screwed up. Honestly, you just got under my skin so much and I'm not blaming you. It's the opposite really. I'm blaming myself for having the wrong feelings for you. And, and, then we came up with this stupid, flipping STUPID idea. Like who thinks letting you cross the border was a good idea? And I should have fought. I shouldn't have just left you there" his words come out rushed, his eyes filled with pain.

I placed my hand over his, feeling sparks go up my arm.

"I'm sorry I got on your nerves" I said, giving him a light smile. I squeezed his hand and when the worried-look stayed on his face, I leaned over the table, giving him a quick peck on the lips.

His cheeks reddened and a smile appeared on his face, "I'm going to make this up to you, you'll see" he said.

The rest of the evening went better. We shared a dessert and then went to walk around town. There was various times electricity sparked on my lips and warmth filled my insides. But when Felix dropped me off at home, instead of thinking of my mate – my mind filtered to Chase.

Was he doing okay? Was he hungry again? How was he wrists... how could Felix do that?

I'm going to make this up to you

Dammit... I groaned, letting out a puff of air.

Felix did it to protect me. I felt my cheeks heating and my smile grew. This boy – thought being the biggest asshole in the whole world sometimes – was perfect. He was protective, beautiful, funny and well, my mate.

I closed my eyes, taking another deep breath.

Still didn't make it right.

I walked deeper into the house, going up to the bathroom. I grabbed the first aid box before heading back downstairs and making the most elaborate sandwich I could make. Even if things were okay with Felix and me, we could only be truly us, if I cleared my conscious.

Which is never going to happen but lessening his torture was all I could do at the moment.