Chapter 7 Absence

I glance over at the house for the millionth time before finally deciding to just do it. Chase had been my friend since we were babies. He knew every little thing about me. We were more than friends. We were brothers.

And even if that sounded corny, corny was what we were. You get those types of friendships that are all about jokes and messing around. Those were what most guy friendships were like. And then somewhere along the line there comes the true things. The things that make you actual friends.

Chase was one of those. Along with the jokes and idiotic pranks we used to play, I knew I could always knock on his door and we can talk about anything. But now, ever since he had been stripped of his title (I having gone through every document to try and reinstate him), we haven't spoken. Every day I walked past his house, building up un-alpha-like courage to go and speak to my friend.

Alphas were never scared. We were determined and never hesitated. But that's the effect Chase had on people. He made you question yourself, your choices, sometimes even your senses.

I trudged up the steps of the porch, banging on the door. Hearing light footsteps I knew Beverly was at the door. She opened it, everything about her screaming worried. Her eyes had bags under them and along with being red, they were slightly puffy. Her skin had greyed slightly and she looked dishevelled.

"Bev?"

"Has – has – Chase been around by you?" she asked, her usual friendly manner stripped away from her. I knitted my eyebrows together, slowly shaking my head.

"He's been gone since yesterday" Beverly said, her hands lightly shaking, "And I know I shouldn't be worrying but you know Chase – he doesn't just up and disappear"

I took a deep breath, knowing that I had to play alpha right now and not a concerned friend.

"When is the last time you've seen him?" I asked, folding my arms to stop them from shaking.

"Last night, he had said he'd only be gone an hour and then... nothing"

A million thoughts filtered through my mind thought it all came to one conclusion. My best friend was gone and we had to get him back.

XXX

"Well, isn't this a nice surprise" I tear my eyes away from my mate's, turning towards the source of the disruptions.

O damn...

"Dad?" Felix frowns, starring at Alpha Richard as he approaches us.

"When were you planning on telling me you found your mate?" I get glanced at briefly, the alpha inspecting me as if it's the first time he has ever noticed me.

"We just found out last night Dad" Felix voice is strained, clearly not happy with his dad. They've always had a rocky relationship. But that was normal in Alpha families. The younger generation wanted to have something their parents weren't yet ready to part with. Also, with Felix – it was only a constant reminder that his Dad didn't yet trust him.

"Still, you should have come to me first thing"

Felix sighed, his hand wrapping in mine.

"You're the future alpha of this pack, it's important that we know who is going to be supporting in your future... choices" he said that last word as if he didn't trust his son not to throw the pack under.

"I wanted to spend time with my mate first before involving everyone Dad" Felix said, his hand squeezing my own. His dad sighed before turning towards me. I sucked in a breath, trying to not look that frightened of what the alpha was about to unleash onto me.

"Lily"

"Alpha Richard" it came out wobbly thought it wasn't as bad as I had thought.

"You understand the circumstances don't you?"

Before I can respond (even thought I had no idea how), Felix spoke up once again.

"Of course she doesn't Dad. But I'm going to help her. We haven't even been mates for a day" A slight hint of a growl comes through in the words and Alpha Richard's frown somehow deepens.

"Have you mated with her yet?"

My cheeks immediately heated up, my eyes widening. Goodness, this guy likes to make things awkward.

"Dad – we've been mates for a day! Honestly, when would I have mated with her?" Felix eyes have darkened now and his free hand is lightly shaking.

"When I had found out about your mother-"

"You and Mom had been friends your whole lives! Lily and I – as Dad knows – didn't get along!"

My mind flashes to all the trips to the principal office Felix and I had went to in Kindergarten and primary school. At that time, your parents always had to come in as well and find out what your kids had done to each other. Most of the time it was me who had gotten paint thrown over herself, hair got cut, etc. I swear I had only gotten revenge once when I had destroyed Felix's painting. Damn, he was NOT happy.

"Seemed like you guys were getting along this week?" his dad raises an eyebrow, questioning everything his son says.

Felix let out a groan, trying to control his temper.

"Alpha Richard – would you like to come inside for some coffee? Then we can speak about these matters better" I said before my mate tried to attack his dad.

The man turned towards me, raising an eyebrow.

"You know – if um- if you want?" I muttered, my heart thumping.

Alpha Richard nodded, "I think that would be the wisest choice"

I moved away from the door, letting him enter first before following him inside, dragging my mate along. I guided the two alphas to the sitting room, giving them smiles before heading into the kitchen to make the coffee.

Damn... what was that?

I take my time making the coffee, being selfish for a moment and deciding to not go back into the living room. I was never one to be part of confrontations. I was bad at fixing disputes between people and tended to avoid anyone who looks like they might like fighting.

When I couldn't waste any more time I headed back in thought there was only one person left. O damn...

I put the tray down, looking around for my mate.

Yeah, I shouldn't have stalled for that long.

"Where's Felix?" I asked, hoping that he might have just went to the bathroom.

"You know my son Lily" Alpha Richard sighed, standing up from the couch, "I apologise for him"

I wanted to respond and say there was no need thought the alpha of my pack was not one you would backchat. Instead I simply nodded, sharing a few more awkward pleasantries before the alpha also left, letting me finally let go of the breathe I've been holding.

g it. Starrimu