Chapter Fifty-Seven: Small Town Gossip

"Do you see her?" whispered a voice making Sophia swallow as she walked around the supermarket, she had taken Mia shopping with her since it was her turn that week and Paul had come with them.

Sophia checked her list of items before moving to get some cereal knowing that they didn't have any; Paul and Jacob were eating them out of house and home whenever they came to stay.

However they both didn't mind putting money forward for the weekly shop, even if Sophia insisted that she and Fiona could handle their large shopping list.

"I don't believe it," another woman replied making Sophia sneak a look at them, she didn't have to guess that they what they were talking about; it was something that she had gotten used to as a teenage parent.

Mia clapped her hands as Sophia pushed the trolley, it would only get harder as the little girl got older and it wasn't ever going to be easy.

Sophia took her time selecting the cereal that she wanted before putting it into the trolley, she brushed some hair from her face as she crossed it off the list.

The two women continued to whisper about them as Sophia moved down the aisle, she was glad that she had chosen to wear her blue T-shirt with dome embellishment and white midi skirt in sheer burnout paired with tan wood effect wedge sandals since it was an oddly warm day in Forks.

Mia blew bubbles making her mother smile as they continued down the aisle and picked up several other items that they needed; the little girl was wearing a pretty peach check print dress with bow, a shrug cardigan and tights.

"Excuse me," called one of the women hurrying over to Sophia, her friend following her clearly wanting to see what she would say to the teenager that they had been whispering about.

Sophia paused turning to look at the woman that had called after her, she rested a hand on her rust suede tooled satchel bag; she felt her defences going up as she recognised her as one of the town's gossips.

Fiona had been helpful when she had pointed out who the worst gossips in Forks were and who to avoid; the worst of them were Mrs. Stanley and Ms. Mallory both who were quickly approaching Sophia at that very moment.

"You're Isabella Swan's cousin," Mrs. Stanley said stopping in front of Sophia, her daughter had told her all about the blonde since she was one of Bella's friends at school.

Jessica had been all too quick to fill her mother in on the tales that Bella had been telling her about Sophia, most of which were about why the blonde now lived in Forks and not with her parents.

"That's right," Sophia said as Mia started to get fussy, she could tell that her mother was uncomfortable and she didn't like the two women that had approached them.

Mrs. Stanley shared a look with Ms. Mallory as if sending her a message that Sophia wasn't getting; the blonde knew that whatever it was it couldn't be good and she dreaded to think what was going to happen.

"What an adorable sister you have," Ms. Mallory said turning her attention to Mia, she cooed at her as she reached to pinch her cute cheeks there was no denying the little girl looked like her mother with brown hair that was clearly from her father.

"Thank you but she's my daughter, not my sister," Sophia said politely forcing a smile, she knew what they were doing and she was not going to go down to their level.

Mia whimpered as Sophia moved to pick her up, she comforted her daughter while Mrs. Stanley smirked turning to look a Ms. Mallory, who stared a little surprised that her friend had been right.

The two women suddenly laughed making Sophia roll her eyes, she wasn't sure what they wanted but she wanted to continue shopping in peace.

Sophia didn't know how her boyfriend would react since he had never been around when people whispered about her and while she was used to it, Paul certainly wasn't.

"Is there something funny?" Sophia asked patiently looking at the two women, she had hoped that with time that this would all stop.

Sophia had dealt with a lot of this back in New York, it had been one of the reason's her parents had sent her to Forks; they hated the whispers about their daughter and didn't want to be ashamed anymore.

"Just you... the chief of police's own niece a teen mother," Mrs. Stanley replied with a smirk, she couldn't believe it when her daughter had told her and now that she had seen it with her own eyes; she couldn't wait to tell everyone.

Mrs. Stanley was a teller at Forks Federal Bank, it allowed her to spread all the gossip that she wanted since it was the only bank in town so everyone went there.

"What's that got to do with you?" Paul snapped putting several items into the trolley, he glared at the two women as he moved to stand beside his girlfriend annoyed at what he was hearing.

Paul had heard their horrible whispers about his girls and he didn't like it, they didn't know his wonderful girlfriend and they had no right to judge her; they were as petty as their daughters.

Mrs. Stanley eyed Paul knowing that this would only make things better for her gossip, she couldn't believe that the teenage mother was with a gang member.

Mrs. Stanley had heard all about the La Push gang to know who Paul was and the fact that he was hanging around with Sam Uley and his gang made her mind jump with excitement.

"Paul leave it... they aren't worth the trouble," Sophia said shaking her head, she rested a hand on his arm as she tried to calm him, she didn't want him phasing in the middle of the shop.

Paul took a shaky breath as he nodded, she was right but he didn't like the way that they were treating her and Mia; everything happened for a reason and Mia was a wonderful accident.

Ms. Mallory huffed annoyed at the way that Sophia didn't think they were worth it, she was worth more than the blonde would ever be and she knew that for a fact.

"Come on... let's finish our shopping," Sophia mumbled as Paul pushed the trolley, she wasn't even going to respond to the two women; she knew that they weren't worth the breath.

Sophia balance Mia on her hip as she ignored the furious whispers from the two women, she wondered if they would ever know that their gossip made them look desperate and pathetic.

Paul took a deep breath looking at his imprint, he could still hear the two women whispering and if he didn't focus on something else or he'd go back and snap at them.

Sometimes small town gossip was the worst and Paul knew that he had to admire Sophia for being so strong in the face of it; she didn't deserve to be judge for anything especially being a mother.

"Just ignore them Paul... people like them aren't worth it," Sophia said taking a calming breath herself, they weren't as bad as some of the people from her old home; they had said a lot more about her being a teenage mother.

Mia was the best thing that had ever happened to Sophia and she had matured so much since she'd had her daughter; it was something that had made her move on with her life and find focus.

Paul looked down at Mia and smiled, if Mia had never been born then he would have never have met Sophia; she was his soul-mate and would have remained in New York if she hadn't gotten pregnant.

Paul was thankful that she had because he adored the little girl and he didn't care about what anyone else said about them.