Chapter 42:- The operation

Serena's POV

The next few days went into blur. I was assigned a small team of capable army men. They accompanied me wherever I went. I went through the different forts and ensured that everyone was staying peacefully. My army ensured a tight control over people. No fights or inner politics were allowed for the inhabitants in the forts.

We had appointed a few cooks for each fort who would cook for the crowd. In return the people were expected to keep the forts clean, and maintain a decorum.

Many women had initiated a task of growing vegetables in the huge gardens and terraces of the forts. Some women started weaving handicrafts and textiles. They offered us to sell us those to the other kingdoms. The fort having male population was busy creating their own pottery and furniture. They donated their creation for sale.

Ali ensured that all the imports were reduced. It was his idea that the higher class must contribute to the welfare of the kingdom and donate their money to the good causes. I came in touch with rich landlords who wanted to donate. I created funds which were directly used to import the grains.

We had reduced the taxes to a great extent since half of the kingdom was facing toll in the agriculture. My family was located in the west zone so there were no instances of floods in my village. I was in touch with my family, though I never informed them about my relationship with the Sultan. My father wrote to me that he was proud of the way I was handling the crises. He promised me to fetch me as soon as I feel that it was my time to return to the home.

I couldn't remember how two fortnights had lapsed. The floods came with a vigour in the north east part of the kingdom and left with the same force. There was a huge loss to the properties but no deaths were reported since we were well ahead of time.

While the army was busy in installing the houses again, we extended the stay of the women and livestock in our forts while the men volunteered to help the army.

Now only one thing was remained to be seen. I just wanted Sultan to win the battle. I do desperately wanted a happy ending to the crises faced by our people!