Chapter 10: The Key to Ingress

"I apologise to you miss, you cannot meet our Sultan. He is occupied at the moment" said the guard.

I felt frustrated now. It was the fourth time of the day when I tried to meet him but was denied the entry. Apparently he was busy with his ministers, trying to solve the financial problems in his own private meetings.

It was the fifth day and I was already learning a lot about the harem. The place was secluded. Various female relatives of the Sultan also lived along with the concubines. The Queen mother was the head of the harem. Moreover, the place was guarded by the eunuchs. No male member can enter the place without the permission of the Queen Mother. Only few male members  were authorised to enter the harem.

One of the persons, apart from the Sultan himself , who was allowed to enter the premises was Ali, the younger brother of Sultan. However he wasn't allowed to own his own harem because he was too young for it. Yet, he would make some occasional visits just for the occasional flirting with the beautiful women.

According to one of the guards, even he was angry with me because I turned his favourite girl Venus, into a nun. Therefore he had stopped visiting the harem.

The Sultan too had stopped visiting the harem.
Which meant that now I had lesser opportunities to annoy him.

I had to meet this man and tell him where his finances are mismanaged. But I didn't know how. So I decided to do something else.

"Queen Mother!" I bowed to her as I saw her entering the lobby.

"Have you seen my guard Osman? He was supposed to bring me my dress." She looked frustrated. Partly because her guard was missing and partly because she hated my presence.

"I shall try to find him." I bowed and left her. I had nothing to do so might as well serve the Queen mother.

After some searching, I found Osman carrying a tray of dates.

"Sir what are you doing here? Queen Mother is searching for you!" I told him.

"Oh I forgot! I was supposed to stitch her dress! Can you please serve this tray to the Sultan?" He said handing over the tray to me.

"But no one will allow me to enter his chambers!" I protested.

"Tell the guards that its Osman's orders. I am the chef guard over here!" He said as he hurried off towards the direction of the Queen Mother's chambers.

And then a wicked idea came into my mind.