Chapter 24:- The tour in disguise

Sultan's POV

"Why do you want to accompany me?" I was wondering why suddenly Serena wanted to accompany me on my tour. Usually, she didn't care what I do every day. Unless she wants to bring an issue to my notice that is related to the kingdom. That too was now not required since she accepted the role of the ruler! She could pass any rule she wanted.

It was my habit to roam around in my kingdom for a day in disguise and simply observe people. My bodyguards would accompany me in disguise. Today we all were dressed as peasants. We would sit amongst the peasants and see what was going on.

"Why aren't you dressed as a trader? They contribute to the maximum amount of our treasury." She asked.

"Because traders are already very wealthy in our kingdom. I want to focus on our landless peasants. There is something in my mind." I cleared.

"So can I come? I want to see how you work." She asked with curiosity.

Seriously I had given up any prospect of having a future with her. She did not have any feelings for me. Hell, she didn't even respect me. I was a fool to declare my feelings to her. I feel like a fool because she must be pitying me for getting my heart trampled by her rejection. Why was she accompanying me? Because she felt bad for me? Because she had to pity me for rejecting her? If I decline her to come, she would think that I have taken rejection very badly.

I must show her that I have moved past having any feelings for her. That I can be normal around her.

"Okay fine, you can come. But please take a disguise of a peasant woman. So that no one can recognise you okay?"

"Okay!" She smiled as she left us to change her attire. Soon she joined us, looking like a complete peasant woman.

"Tell Mother that it might take us a day or two to return." He asked his servants and we took off. We rode the horse in complete silence. Probably because I was feeling awkward. So I decided to keep mum. However, she found it tough to keep her mouth shut and decided to talk with the three guards who accompanied us. She asked about where were we heading towards, how will we hide our horses (poor people do not have the superior breed of horses that we possessed) etc. Her questions were intelligent. However, I still was confused as to whether to speak to her or keep the seriousness.

However, it was tough to stay quiet as she started sharing her childhood antics with the guards. She would describe how rebellious she was as a child and how she motivated her brother to break the rules. How her father taught her to read and write as well as have the skill of calculations and accounting. Everything against the norms.

A smile formed on my face. She was talking about being independent. Now I knew that it was she who had the real independence. The freedom to do, eat and speak anything that she wanted. She had a family and relatives who dearly loved her without any conditions or greed of riches or power.

And suddenly I wanted all that too. A nice little family, living outside the country where I would do the farming the whole day and my wife would assist me and take care of our kids. I would leave for the fields in the morning as return home in the evening. My wife would serve me hot delicious food while narrating their adventures for the whole day!

But for some strange reason, I imagined Serena as my wife. Whenever she would be around me, I would feel vulnerable. Both emotionally as well as mentally. I would submit her opinions immediately. That was not healthy for any unbiased and just ruler.

But I need not worry about that. Soon she would leave the palace. With only 8 days to rule and 12 days to stay. I hate to confess but I will miss her. I sighed. Suddenly I found Serena looking at me with confusion. Soon a look of understanding came to her face and she looked away. I wish riding with her wouldn't have been that awkward.