Chapter 14: Emptying the harem

Serena's POV

"Before the ceremony starts, We all are glad that you came into our lives and helped us with the great idea of yours. I am sure that our new lives would be better than this even though I miss my family." Said Venus as she presented me with a tulip flower as a sweet gesture on behalf of all the women of the harem.

While the Queen mother looked at me furiously, we all awaited the ceremonies. The Sultan would officially announce the names of the women who chose to renounce the world by being the nuns. A religious complex was built so that the women can stay there safely.

The Sultan entered with the entire hordes of his ministers and high ranking generals.

"My greetings to everyone present" his voice boomed.

"Though I was surprised by the news that all my women chose to be nuns, I was ready to support their decision. However, a recent chat with a friend (he looked at me) made me realise that I am making a huge mistake. You see, all of women wanted to be nuns so that they can get out of the four walls of the harem. It is okay. It's time I rectify my mistake. I shouldn't have abducted you in the first place. Therefore I would like to make a proposal." He spoke.

We all looked at each other's faces. Hopeful that maybe he would come up with the better idea. We were not disappointed.

"I promise you all that I would return you all safely to your families. Those of you who do not possess the families or wish to marry someone, I have brought my single high ranking ministers here. You can marry any of them with their mutual consent. Rest, If you really wish to dedicate your life to the God, I will ensure that you will have a proper ceremony to become the nuns." He spoke up.

I could see the smiling face of every girl. The Sultan had 100 women in his harem. More than half of them preferred to return to their families. Those who didn't possess any families preferred to have a life of nun. A selected few chose to marry the ministers. The Sultan asked them to conduct a meeting with ministers in the training grounds and chose their soulmate. He promised to finance their weddings.

There was a complete atmosphere of joy. Soon the hordes of carriages filled up with the girls who were to be returned back to their families. The few who chose to be nuns were escorted to the religious complex. The rest of the few were asked to accompany the ministers to the training grounds.

"I am an orphan so I wish to marry someone. To be a lawfully wedded life. It would be like a dream come true!" Said Sophia, who stood next to me. She said that she felt nervous to talk to men so wanted me to accompany her.

I hugged all the girls who were leaving the palace in their assigned carriages. And then accompanied Sophia and the other girls.

The training ground was beautifully decorated. There were many chairs and benches for the women and the men to sit and talk. The atmosphere was free so I was soon surrounded by mingling and loads of conversations amongst the couples.

I was content sitting lonely in a bench. Suddenly I was joined by the Sultan.

"Don't you want to join?" He asked.

"Na. I am meant to be Sultana." I joked. And laughed. But he became serious. I hope he doesn't take our constant nagging and me being Sultana very seriously. I just had 23 days left and then I could go home.