Chapter 21:- The Insane temporary ruler

Heya everyone! I am so excited to present this special chapter today! And yes, please please please take care of yourself and your elders! The pandemic is turning deadly every single day! Use sanitisers and mask regularly!

Serena's POV

"Hail our new Ruler! Her Majesty Serena! " it was followed by some sort of victory music and everyone stood up as I ascended towards the throne. Ali sat close to me (I thought that maybe I would require morale support for a day or two).

Like Ali had promised, he came to visit me during the previous evening. However we both ended up having a dinner together while he gave me the lists of issues that the kingdom was facing. Before going to sleep, I was visited by Sultan who said these strange words that I am yet to interpret (actually I was so stressed out about being the ruler that I fell asleep the minute he left my chambers)

He had said that "When you will reach to the top, I will always remain your shadow! So far... and yet so close!"

I couldn't spot him on the court! I wondered where he went. As if reading my mind, Ali whispered (in a volume that only I could hear it) "Sultan took a day off and he has gone for swimming."

I was burning with rage. Why the hell did he leave me alone and went for some entertainment!

Anyways, I diverted my focus towards the court. There was a pin drop silence. Everyone was waiting for me to speak up. As if I was going to provide them some words of wisdom. I wouldn't blame them for being so curious about me. If the Sultan wants to appoint me as his replacement, he must have definitely seen something in me.

Trying to portray a brave exterior, I spoke up
"Ahem Ahem, let's commence the court proceedings!"

Thankfully I had secretly heard (I couldn't see any of them as I was always hiding behind the throne)how the court proceedings were carried on by Sultan. A minister, whose voice I could recognise presented a list of problems that were meant to be discussed. Since our kingdom followed Sharia Law, I had little knowledge about it. That too because I had once visited the Royal library and read some literature.

While addressing the disputes, I took the help of religious leaders and ministers in interpreting the law and providing verdicts accordingly. However whenever I felt that the law had a loophole,I would follow my common sense. It made the religious leaders furious but I didn't care.

The issues like drying of wells, trading of silk, levy of tax on pilgrims etc were discussed. Since I had read the accounts of the previous years, I had a great deal of idea about where we lacked financially.

"Your majesty, let's commence towards the final issue. There is a frequent complaint about the decrease in number of the slaves by the upper class" said a minister.

Ali immediately looked at me. He knew he much I desisted slave trade. Besides, he knew that a whirlwind was about to start. He gave me a small smile. I knew he would support me but others won't.

"I suggest that we should abduct more women from the neighbouring kingdoms!" Said Vazir.

I wish someone would abduct him first. That gave me an idea.

"Soldiers! " I shouted. Immediately a small army ran in my direction with  weapons!

"I want you all to arrest every minister present here!" I shouted and within a few minutes, every minister was tied with shackles.

"Your majesty what are you doing?" Shouted a minister.

"Increasing the number of slaves. I am planning to sell you all in the slave market so that the upper class can have their needs satisfied!" I shouted back and he looked on the floor with shame.

"Osman!" I shouted at the guard. "I want you to kidnap the wife  and daughters of the Vizar! We need to increase the women slaves!"

Suddenly there was a pin drop silence. I asked the guards to release the ministers and leave the court. The ministers were asked to take their seats.

"I, the ruler of the Ottoman Kingdom, declare that the slavery would be illegal from this moment! I want all the soldiers to go and announce this to the public! The slaves must be released else there will be a death penalty." I announced the verdicts and left the courtroom. Partly because I was furious at the old sick mentality of the ministers! They represented the public and yet possessed such an outdated thinking. And partly because I started having a throbbing headache. It was tough to rule!

For the first time in my life, I felt a surge of respect towards Sultan! Poor thing, he was pressured to succeed this father from the moment he was born! Atleast I had my childhood and freedom inspite of being born and brought up in a normal family.