Chapter 7: Logical Reasoning

Serena's POV

"And this is your bed. You will share it with Nadia." said the Lady Maria.

Lady Maria was in charge of the harem and reported to the Valide Sultana (Queen mother).

"Remember, she is a guest for the 30 days. Do not harm her. Treat her with respect. It's the Sultan's strict orders." said the Vazir who found it odd and awkward to be involved in the harem matters. It was considered a downgraded job for his position.

"Goodbye! I hope to meet you soon!" I intentionally gave him a sweet smile to annoy him. It worked like a charm. He glared at me and exited the harem.

I talked to the girls of the harem. They did not look at me as their competition as I had made it clear that I was just an ordinary guest. Even the most notorious of the girls found it peaceful to rant about her frustrations to me.

"The Sultan never calls me to his bed chambers! He has recently started liking Venus!" She ranted.

"Why the hell you want to come into the good books of that arrogant barbarian?" I was frustrated with the fact that everyone was trying to please him.

"He is not barbarian. Never ever he has forced us to satisfy him sexually." She said.

"So what if you do not wish to satisfy him?" I asked her.

"Well, he assures us that we can freely tell him and he would call for some other women in his bedchambers. But I would never ever do that." She said.

"But why?" I was surprised.

"Because if we bear his children, our status rises. We have chance to become Queen mother or his favourite mistress and lead a better life!" She explained.

"But What if someone else bears him a child before you do?" I ask her.

"Then her child gets to succeed the throne in case anything happens to the Sultan." She explained.

"Then what is the logic behind the polygamy when only one women can become a Queen mother as only one prince can rule? Even if your own child (Prince) becomes a Prince, there is a full certainty that he would be murdered by the other potential princes who are in line to be the Sultan ? Besides the fact that your own life will always be in danger if you become the Sultan's favourite?"

The girl looked here and there. As if to check if anyone was hearing us.

"Yes I know. It is common for the brothers to murder each other in order to get the throne? There will always be one king. Provided there is no threat from the other princes. It usually happens. Only one prince survives!" It sounded scary.

"Won't it be rather better to not to get into his good books so that you won't have to bear his child. You can live a life of a untroubled single women and die without any grief!" I tried to make some sense.

"Well." She became quiet and thoughtful.

Suddenly we heard the guard approaching the girl I was talking to.

"The Sultan is calling for you." He said.

"Can you please convey it to him that I am feeling unwell today? Can he ask for someone else?" She tried to sound as polite and as ill as possible. Of course I knew that my lecture had made some sense to her.

"I think you are right. I would rather live a life of content rather than produce his babies. We are not allowed to go to the outside world but there are a lot of things I can do here." She smiled.

I appreciated her for her positivity. Thank God I wasn't one of these ladies.

Now it was the time I instil the same lesson to the other women in the harem. The lady Maria had gone to sleep. It was the best time to talk to them.