Chapter 12:- Towards the freedom

Serena's POV

As soon as I reached to the chambers designed for the women in harem, I got the news that the Sultan was planning to release all of them next day . He decided that he would allot a religious complex for all of them so that they can spend their life in peace, worshipping the Lord and devote their time in getting education.

Which meant that I was alone in the whole chamber designed for the women. Apart from the Queen Mother and her servants.

Everyone was happy for being released from slavery. I too was happy because time was passing fast and I would be able to go home after a few days.

They all made fun of my hair in a sweet way. I told them that I had fallen inside a fountain. I did not want them to think that I was attracted to the Sultan. I borrowed some of their dresses and we all went to sleep.

It was midnight when I felt someone trying to wake me up.

I tried to open my eyes, only to find guard Osman standing next to my bed.

I was scared. What was he doing here in the middle of the night?

"Sultan wants you inside his chambers." He whispered.

I accompanied him, suspicious about the intentions of the Sultan. Why did he want me in his chambers at the middle of the night.

I entered his chamber and the door was closed by the guard. I suddenly realised that I was wearing only a loose fitting gown. My hair was open. I was devoid of any jewellery. My feet was bare. I started feeling a bit self conscious.

"I apologise for not letting you sleep. You see, I saw a bad dream and now cannot sleep again." He smiled sheepishly.

I let out an involuntary yawn. So why did he call me? I asked him.

"Well I wanted someone to talk to. Mother is sleeping. I do not wish to disturb her. You have converted all my women into nun so I cannot discuss the worldly matters with them."

"So you discuss issues with your women?" I was shocked.

"No I do not. Most of the times they are simply meant to give me some company. That's it." He shrugged.

"Does having company involves having intelligent discussions?" I asked him.

"No. We do the other things. You know, like fulfilling my body needs." He felt awkward and looked away.

"So why do you want to talk to me? " I asked him.

"Because believe it or not, you seem very sensible. I need someone to tell me when I go wrong." He confessed.

I smiled. Yes I was a sensible girl.

" but don't you have your pashas and mentors to guide you?" I asked him

"I do have them. But I sometimes find their intentions malicious. You know, they seem to favour my brother, Ali more than me."

"So what? He is your brother after all. Your own blood. Even you should support your brother." I tried to cheer him up. Even though I was there to annoy him. And then prove him a brute. But I can do it some other time.

"Well you don't want understand the politics. For the lust of throne, people change. There is betrayal everywhere. You cannot trust your own brother or son. My mother holds the tight reins on me and my brother and she would never ever allow him to betray me. But I still am doubtful." He said.

"My father always tells me. Trust your intuition and conscience. Both can never go wrong. If you feel that someone is giving you bad vibrations, start being careful about that person." I told him.

He became silent for a moment. And then looked at me and gave me a smile.

"Maybe you are right. You know why I told you this stuff? Because you seemed to be harmless. Someone who can understand a point." He smiled. "And also because you care for your family and villagers. So you will never give me a wrong advice that can affect them
negatively. "

I smiled. But that was not something I wanted. I wanted to prove him a brute. And there he was. Melting my heart with soft words of trust. I had to get away from this man as soon as possible. I will devise some way or the other to get him angry and then regret it for his entire life.

I turned around to go towards the exit when he called my name.

"Hey wait. I am not feeling sleepy yet. Please talk to me. I am feeling lonely." He said.

"I am sorry. I can't stay here. I am feeling sleepy." I lied. I was planning to stay awake whole night and plot ways to make him angry.

"Lair. I want you to stay with me for the whole night. Besides I want to discuss some issues concerning your village." He said.

Now that was my weak point. My village was something I had to give importance to.

We both sat in chairs in the balcony. In front of us, were thousands of stars glittering and adorning the sky.

"So I was saying that your village and the other villages nearby are close to the main river. There is a full probability of the large scale floods. While we cannot stop the mighty nature, we need to do something about the public." He said.

"So what did your mentors suggest you?"
I asked him. He had a plethora of intelligent people in his court who can provide better advise than me. I was a mere village girl.

"They are too busy to gain political leverage. Too busy to care about the people in general " he said.

"Fine. One of the best ways to deal with the floods is to evacuate the villages in advance. Make sure that they go into somewhere safe place. Once the things are safe, transfer them back to there villages." I said.

"But what about their residence. I have to make arrangement for their stay. That too in such a short span and of time!" He said.

I took a deep breath. Finally now I could make a logical point.

"I was going to come to that. I had seen your accounts and realised that you have captured a hell lot of forts and palaces as your conquests during the wars fought in past. And it takes a great deal of funds to maintain those empty palaces. So how about asking your public to stay there temporary? Once the floods are over, you can ask them to shift back. Create a strong administration there. And yes, make sure that you station your eunuchs there instead of Male soldiers. Don't forget that safety of the women residing in the unknown palace too is important. Now that all your women are nuns, your majority of the eunuchs guards are having a free time. " I spoke like a mature women. Atleast I tried.

Before he could say anything, I also added

"You can later lend those palaces to your allies in the exchange of funds or convert them into storage places instead of building new storage complex. All that after the floods are over.That way you can save a lot of fund."

He smiled. "I knew. I knew you would solve this problem. I am so proud of you! No wonder my mother wanted you to be my legal wife!" He blurred out.

Wait a minute. He said what? I gave him an j tense glare and he rolled his eyes.

"I want you to speak up. Now!!!!"