Chapter 26: into the strange village

Serena's POV

"Before we advance towards this village, let me first explain to you the structure of taxation in our empire." Said Sultan suddenly as we stopped outskirts of the village.

It was a relief that he started speaking. Even if everything about it was technical.

"Just wait for a few moments!" I couldn't control myself and climb on a giant tree. I sat on the topmost branch of the tree and was able to see the bird's eye view of the beautiful village.

The whole village looked green. It seemed that it was filled with lush farmlands. I could also see a river far away. Probably the presence of river helped the farmers to irrigate the land.

"Come down! will you!" I heard Sultan shouting at me as he looked up. He looked frustrated and kind of... disappointed.

I quickly climbed down the tree only to hear a lecture from him about being so immature. "I can't imagine that I have passed my throne to someone as immature as you!

And I decided that I would never Sultan seriously in my life! Sorry, Ali but your brother is such a rude person!

As we advanced towards the village, I remembered that he was going to explain something.

"What were you saying before I climbed the tree?" I asked him.

A smile came to his face. "Oh yes, I was saying that we follow the tax farming system. This means that the landlords and the peasants are allotted a piece of land. They grow their crops for their consumption and balance they sell them. We have hired a few farmers who collect the tax from the peasants and deposit it directly to our treasury. In return for their services, the farmers are paid a fixed amount at regular intervals ( the author means "salary")."

Okay, I understood that. But what changes did he want to make? He said that he had something on his mind.

"The problem is that our agricultural exports are less compared to the export of luxury items like silk, woollen garments etc. I want to know the cause behind it" he clarified.

"It's simple. The yield in the farms is low. Whatever they produce, they consume it. Therefore only a less number yield remains that can be exported."

"But why is the production quantity so low? They have fertile lands and the presence of river water?" he sounded baffled.

"Because the infrastructure is poor! Look at the roads! They are not fit for transportation. Look at the irrigation. It's not properly developed. Only those farms that are close to the river get benefitted." I pointed out!

"I think that there is more to this. That's why I want us to stay in disguise and observe everything." he said.

"Your Majesty! We have arrived at the pasta Mehmed's house!" said the guards as we got down from the horse. Sultan was quite impressed that I was able to dismount the horse without holding his hand (which he had offered to me.)

"Aren't you a rebel?" he gave me his boyish smile while I just ignored the comment.

We were greeted by a middle-aged man and women who seemed to be his wife. We were welcomed with honour as we exchanged the pleasantries.

"Serena, he is Pasha. Mehmed, the ex-minister of the kingdom. However, he retired a few years earlier. It was the fortune of our kingdom to have a jewel-like him." said Sultan with emotion. Perhaps he was one of the few persons whom the Sultan trusted after his father passed away.

"Your highness, it is my duty to serve the nation. You are welcome to stay here as many days as you wish! It is my utmost pleasure to assist you in all your endeavours! Meet my wife Suraiya." he spoke the last sentence looking at me.

After the tiresome ride, we all took proper sleep and rest. Mehmed was the owner of the last farm in front of us. He seemed to be the wealthiest landlord in the entire village.

The guards were asked to stay in the servant quarters while I and Sultan were provided with a chamber each. Suraiya was a very outspoken person. While everyone took a nap, I and Suraiya had a real chat on the life of the village versus the life of. the palace.

"It's good to see that your husband adores you!" she smiled.

"No no he is not my husband." I clarified.

"He seems like he really adores you. I thought that he might be your husband or lover. However I was confused when Mehmad asked me to allot individual chamber to both of you."

I blushed. Perhaps this lady has an over active imagination. Anyways I told her everything about me and how I landed up inside the palace.

"It's just matter of time when you both would come around." She sighed.

"But I don't love him." I whispered. Trying to sound soft and get firm.

"That we shall see." She smiled but her face was serious.

I simply sighed and wondered what was going in my life. From being a simple village girl to a temporary emperor and then a peasant? I don't know what to expect now!