Chapter 1. Valentine's day

14 February 2019

Dammit it's 5:30 am and I'm still in the shower. I can't be late again.

Today is Valentine's day but the only reason I'm excited is because of the Valentine's ball that's happening tonight. I have never been at school during the night time and that is the exciting part I just love the night time and it does seem like a pretty romantic time, not that I care besides even if I did I sadly do not posses the charm to win the heart of any girl.
And on that bright note it's time to head off to school.

***

6:30 am

As I usually do, I walked to Mabhena's house in a complex called Bridgetown.

Do Americans call them complexes because they call flats apartments, well it doesn't matter they are a bunch of houses that look the same and are within a gated area.

This place is the most unique complex, I literally just walked through and the guards didn't stop me.
Why are there any guards if they not doing anything.

Once I reached Mabhena's house I had to wait like I do every single day but I didn't want to complain while his mom was there, she is the scariest woman I have ever met.
Once the prince was done we headed off to Yaatie's house which was like 2 minutes away and out of Bridgetown (the infamous complex).

We arrived and started playing FIFA 18. Mabhena and I don't have a PlayStation so when we have an opportunity to play we make sure we enjoy it. Yaatie didn't mind us coming early to play because he had no one else to play with. I lost and didn't even score a single goal, I suck at FIFA in fact I suck at every video game, the only game I am good at is Temple Run and that doesn't say much.

At 7:20am we got into Yaatie's dad's car.

***

Northriding High was particularly jumpy today thanks to the ball that everyone keeps talking about.
By the way when I say ball you may be thinking of a night where we come dressed in gowns and tuxedos and waltz in the school hall. Well think again, we come dressed in whatever we want (in our terms we come dripping) the "ball" is held outside in one of the school blocks. I still don't know why we call it a ball.

I was in life sciences (biology) trying to figure out what the hell this teacher is saying, I just heard something something squamous epithelium.
What's that all about?
Another one of the reasons I consider myself a geek and not a nerd, I am not always the brightest bulb in the room.

"Bruv, do you understand what Miss Joy is saying?" I whispered to Mabhena because I was seeking for guidance.
"Nah dawg all I heard was squamous."
"Hai! At least we togerra."

Mabhena sits in front of me in the lab, this is a combination set up for failure. To top things off Benjamin is in front of him and Andrew is right next to me, a recipe for disaster.

We basically didn't work for the whole day, not because we didn't get work but simply because we didn't want to. The fact that I had friends in all my classes didn't help, well all my classes except Afrikaans which is the worst additional language in the world. Afrikaans is like Dutch's ugly son a truly terrible sight.
Actually, I don't hate the language it is quite beautiful but learning it is horrific.

"Cameron Adams het jy my huiswerk gedoen?" Mrs Naidoo het geskree. . . I mean Mrs Naidoo yelled.

I never do her homework yet she doesn't punish me, I think she knows just being there is all the punishment I needed or maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm angelicly handsome.

After Afrikaans was maths, nothing changed for maths, my maths teacher will never allow us to do nothing. He asked a few questions, smart kids like Iris answered while my friends and I prayed we don't get picked next.

My days have basically been the same all my life no interesting events well unless me getting bullied is an interesting event, but now that I'm in a group of 20 boys that doesn't happen at school. Day in day out I do the same thing and it's getting really boring, I need some spice or drama in my life.

"Cameron can you answer question 3.4 on the board." Mr K said while my friends Mabhena, Uveshan and Wayne smiled.
"Dammit not again." I said out loud.
The class laughed but I don't know if they laughed at what I said or at my facial expression.
"Hurry up Sir." Mabhena said with a despicable grin.

I always complain when this happens but I get the answer right, well only because a couple of my friends and I help each other so we don't look like fools in front of the girls.

I went back to sit at my desk feeling special and Mabhena was next so I was waiting to laugh.

"Hey, nice job Mr Adams." Charlotte complimented another one of my wonderful maths explanations.
"Well you know me Mr Smarty-pants." I replied.
"Oh, Mr Smarty-pants okay, well is Mr Smarty-pants coming to the ball tonight or will he be studying."
"Of course I'm coming."
" Who you coming with?"
"I am coming with the hottest person in the school, when we walk in people will faint."
"Ooo who is this special person."
" The young and talented Cameron." I said with a gigantic smile.
"Your such a dork." Charlotte laughed and Iris laughed with her (she was clearly listening in on our conversations).
"Why thank you."
"You know you don't have to go alone, I'm willing to go with you if you ask."
"Oh really well in that case. Ahem! Shall thee accompanyest I to thee ball." I said in an old English accent as I held her hand with both of mine.
"Tis shall be my greatest pleasure my Lord." She replied with a beautiful smile.