Chapter 17. Healing

I woke up feeling like I was hit by a car which is good because yesterday I felt like I was hit by a bus, so there is some progress. Yesterday my father said he'll take me to school and fetch me, I wonder how long this luxury will last?

"Hey Crippled!? Get out the bathroom you moron!" My sister shouts as I was gingerly getting out the tub.
"Good morning to you too!" I shout back.

How the hell does she get away with such talk, when I was her age I used to get beaten for saying shut up and I was shouting at the dogs. The four of us completely get treated differently. I'm the first born but I get treated like a criminal, Natasha my sister is second and she's The Ice Queen but gets treated like her name is Elizabeth, Jonathan is third though his a bloody genius he gets mild treatment and of course last is David who is a baby at the moment so that explains enough.
Billions of families out there and I get stuck with The Adams family (pun intended).

It took me two hours but I managed to get dressed and eat and then we were on our way.
I wonder what I missed yesterday and I wonder if Iris missed me, I will probably have to explain why I'm limping. I hate pity so I should just do my best to walk normally no matter how painful it is.

I got out and began walking to The Spot, I decided to go to the gents so they know I'm still alive.
On my way I saw Charlotte begin to run (actually run) towards me.
She hugged me tightly and absolutely crushed me.

"Charlotte. . .I–I can't breathe." I say as she continues to hug me.
"Oh I'm so sorry." She releases me. "Are you alright I heard what happened to you and I have been worried sick I thought of calling but I obviously couldn't I also wanted to come by your house but I thought it would have been awkward with your parents there oh my gosh Cameron you scared the hell out of me don't do that again!" She spoke so fast I could barely remember what she was saying.
"Uhm Sorry." Was all I could say in response.

I left Charlotte and walked towards the lab where most of the gents hang out now and again another girl started coming towards me. Jenny gave me a hug and helped me walk down to the lab even though I told her not to. Once we reached the lab I was stopped again but this time not by a girl but by a woman.

"Cameron are you okay I heard what happened." Miss Joy gave me a hug.
"I'm good thanks." I reply while relishing the moment.

If this is what it takes for me to get attention I should get hit more often.

"Awe gents." I greeted.
By the way Awe is a slang greeting here in SA, it's pronounced Ah-weh, not awe like your referring to something you adore.
"There he is the man who fought three robbers at once!" Mabhena shouts.
"What?" I ask.
"I was just telling the girls how you fought bravely against those huge buff men." Mabhena winks.

That's why I have attention, this guy made me sound like I was Captain Africa or something, I guess this makes up for everything.

Before the bell rang Iris came to me.

Dankie Mabhena!!

"Your limping are you okay?" She asks in a worried tone.
"I'm fine." I reply
"Mabhena told me what happened and I was worried, if you didn't come today Jenny and I were gonna come to your house."
"Dammit, I knew I should have stayed home." I joke.
"I'm just glad your alright." She smiles.

She didn't give me a hug but seeing her smile was better than all the hugs I have ever received and she is not the type for physical contact, it will take a while to reach that stage.

The rest of the school day I received hugs from girls and salutes from gents, it was weird being noticed all of a sudden but I loved every minute of it. It made me feel important, it was like my life mattered. It was an amazing experience but it paled in comparison to how Iris was actually worried about me. She was actually going to come to my house to check up on me.
Whoa!