Chapter 89

Merlyn

After we stopped by and picked up Sasha's luggage, I took over driving. I knew where my box of information on myself was hidden and it just made it easier if I drove then trying to give her directions. Plus, I wanted to be behind the wheel, just in case.

It was a good thing the Studebaker was as dirty as it was, covered in mud from the drive to and from the Quonset; the area we were in wasn't exactly someplace a nice vehicle would normally be seen driving through unless some tourist was lost; then they'd keep the windows up and drive fast trying to get back onto a road to better surroundings.

When I parked in front of the house, Sasha looked it over then looked over at me with rather wide eyes and a questioning my sanity face. I didn't explain anything to her, I simply told her to wait until I was on her side of the vehicle then got out and walked over and opened her door. She was tight on my side as we made our way along the broken concrete sidewalk to the dingy and rather dark looking house.

I rang the bell, it was a pull-chain that rang an actual bell inside the house. About a minute later we could hear someone on the other side of the door. Another couple minutes passed after the sounds on the other side stopped, then you could hear the floor inside creak slightly as someone else approached the door.

The locks unlocked then the door opened. The grey haired girl that answered had large dark glasses on and said nothing, she left the door standing open and walked back towards the inside of the house. I opened the storm door on the outside and walked in. I followed the old girl into where the living room area was. Everything in the house was old, the furniture, pictures, light fixtures on the walls and ceilings, the carpets, even the television was from a bygone era. She sat down without a word on an old Victorian couch.

She held her head so her face was turned away from me. Sasha barely looked around, keeping her eyes on the old girl. I pointed at the floor, indicating she was to remain right where she was. I didn't think she'd be moving anyways, then I walked off down a narrow hallway.

It wasn't much more than five minutes, and less then ten when I returned to where Sasha stood. The box I carried was heavy; when Sasha looked at me I jerked my head towards the door and we started to leave.

"Be safe mister." The old girl said.

I stopped and looked back at her for a second. "Thank you, I will." I replied then started moving again, Sasha right on my heels.

"Take care, good care of him miss. He needs a looking after, even from someone as young as you is." The old girl added.

Sasha stopped now, I held myself in mid stride.

"I'm old, and blind missy, been blind since I was tree." She began with her heavy accent. "I could hear your breathing and your heartbeat as you stood a waiting on mister. Being blind has given me the ability to sense many things most people don't. Your heart, beats like that of a young girl, I can smell you also." When she finished speaking, she stood and walked towards the back of the room and went through a door without anything further.

Sasha looked at me with genuinely surprised wide eyes. I looked towards the door and started walking again.

Once we were at the Studebaker, she opened the back for me so I could place the box inside. I closed the door, I could feel Sasha's tension as she stood by me. Looking up I noticed several boys moving in towards us from different directions. One was smirking, he'd be the leader of the group. The others had harder looks and were taking their cues from the smirking boy.

With one hand I reached back towards Sasha and touched her hand gently, hoping she got the message to stand fast.

I could hear the front door of the house open, I didn't look back, Sasha did though. The boys froze in place and looked towards the house, their eyes held respect, respect that extreme fear brings. As I watched them I heard the creak of the old rocking chair on the small stoop deck beside the front door of the house, then, two thumps came. The staff she carried with her, she thumped it twice. It would be the only warning she'd give. The boys turned and fled as fast as they could.