Chapter 34

Gordon

"Well, that ID is toast." Zandie said when Randi walked into the room. She held her hand out. "Give it here, I'll make a new one."

Without a word she dug the ID she'd used when she was stopped and handed it to her. It was evident on her face and in her body language she wasn't going to give Zandie any guff, especially after the original police problem that Randi had caused herself. It was nice that Zandie was going to make a new ID for her I thought.

"Why is it toast just because of a traffic stop?" Randi asked, a reasonable question.

Zandie sighed and looked at the license and ID card she had in her hands. "Because, now you're in the IP system. Wherever you go, that little stop is going to show up, and it could raise some questions or cause problems. The cop also ran the plates, they'd of come back to me."

Randi's face showed question. "So, what's bad about that, being connected with you?"

"There's a 50-50 chance the cops are going to come asking about you. I can blow you off as a model and use that as an explanation for you using my bike. If you get stopped again, say in another state or doing something illegal, that comes back to me. Doing what you and Gordon are doing, you don't want any associations with anybody and you especially don't want to show up in the Imperial Police system. It's bad karma for the identity." Zandie explained.

Zandie knew the racket well, and was right. If Randi used that identity again and was asked to identify herself and we were in California, that might raise the question why an Illinois girl went from New Brittan to California and if she was with me and I was asked for identification, that would link me to Zandie and Holland. If her identity was in the IP system, that would increase the chances of my being asked for identification. The long and the short of it was you didn't want your name in the IP system if you were doing what we were doing.

"So, what about the video I got of the inside of the barn Fat Prick's boys were at?" Randi asked.

"We haven't reviewed it yet." I said then looked over at Zandie. "We were resolving other issues." I further stated.

Randi's right eyebrow went up, the rest of her face was blank. "What, the two of you were getting it on?" She asked.

I was glad Holland wasn't in the room. He'd been handling the video recording and relaying instructions through Zandie. Now he was back in his workshop looking over more data from the Imperial database.

My tone was angry as well as scolding when I answered her. "No! We were not 'getting it on'. What the hells the matter with you." Her assumption pissed me off.

"I'm with Holland, it hurts me that you'd think something like that Lydia." Zandie told her. Her face was pained, what Randi had said did cut her to the quick. The feelings she was having were amplified by the fact she called her by her real name instead of keeping to the use of her alternate identity.

Wilted, that's how Randi looked now. "I'm sorry. I... I didn't mean anything... you know..."

"You were feeling jealous weren't you." Zandie replied.

With her face hard, Randi turned away from both of us, walked to a table on the other end of the room and sat down with her back towards us.

Zandie stayed where she was, hurt still in her face. She understood Randi's jealousy, she was young and knew Zandie and I had a past; that didn't excuse the accusation she'd made. What had happened between Zandie, Holland and I, was a long time in the past. Pulling herself together, Zandie looked at me.